Can Lorentzian Signature Metrics Always Be Continued into Euclidean Signatures?

• Thread starter sheaf
  • Start date
In summary, analytic continuation into the Euclidean domain is possible, but there could be obstructions along the way.
sheaf
Back in the 1980s, a lot of work (Hawking et al) was done on deriving semiclassical and quantum gravity results on spacetimes with Euclidean signature. The connection with the Lorentzian signature versions was then made by analytic continuation. Does anyone know - are there any generic conditions which can be stated which ensure that a Lorentzian signature metric can be analytically continued into the complex domain and there posess a Euclidean signature section ? Or alternatively, what are the obstructions to analytic continuation into the Euclidean domain ?

Physics news on Phys.org
sheaf said:
Back in the 1980s, a lot of work (Hawking et al) was done on deriving semiclassical and quantum gravity results on spacetimes with Euclidean signature. The connection with the Lorentzian signature versions was then made by analytic continuation. Does anyone know - are there any generic conditions which can be stated which ensure that a Lorentzian signature metric can be analytically continued into the complex domain and there posess a Euclidean signature section ? Or alternatively, what are the obstructions to analytic continuation into the Euclidean domain ?
There could be many obstructions I guess, such as the lack of an everywhere well defined timelike vectorfied which is generically the case for Morse-like ''Lorentzian'' spacetimes in topology changing configurations (such as the trousers); another obstruction could be the development of poles due to analytic continuation such as happens for the metric

- 1/(a^2 + t^2) dt^2 + dx^2

if you rotate t --> i t , then you get poles at t = +/- a.

Thanks. I guess it's a case by case basis. I was trying to get a feel for how typical the results obtained by Hawking and co (e.g. those for the Euclidean Schwarzschild solution) were.

sheaf said:
Thanks. I guess it's a case by case basis. I was trying to get a feel for how typical the results obtained by Hawking and co (e.g. those for the Euclidean Schwarzschild solution) were.
Yes, it is a case by case basis. Analytic continuation works rather well for QFT's on a fixed background spacetime and I think (not sure though) Hawking radiation on Schwarzschild has been computed with and without it (I remember the original calculation was Lorentzian). However, in quantum gravity, the technique is disputed; my personal take on it is that it is not correct, but I have no proof of this.

Careful

1. What is the Euclideanization Programme?

The Euclideanization Programme is a scientific approach that aims to mathematically transform a non-Euclidean system into a Euclidean system. It involves adjusting the coordinates and measurements of a non-Euclidean space to fit the rules and principles of Euclidean geometry.

2. What is the purpose of the Euclideanization Programme?

The purpose of the Euclideanization Programme is to simplify complex mathematical problems by converting them into a Euclidean system, which is easier to solve using traditional methods. It also allows for the application of Euclidean geometry principles in non-Euclidean spaces.

3. How does the Euclideanization Programme work?

The Euclideanization Programme works by using mathematical transformations, such as scaling and rotation, to adjust the coordinates and measurements of a non-Euclidean space. These transformations are based on the principles and formulas of Euclidean geometry.

4. What are the potential applications of the Euclideanization Programme?

The Euclideanization Programme has a wide range of potential applications, including in the fields of physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It can be used to solve complex problems in non-Euclidean spaces and to visualize non-Euclidean structures in a Euclidean framework.

5. Are there any limitations to the Euclideanization Programme?

While the Euclideanization Programme can be a useful tool in many scientific disciplines, it has its limitations. It may not be applicable to all non-Euclidean systems, and the transformations used may result in loss of information or accuracy. Additionally, it requires a solid understanding of Euclidean geometry and may not be accessible to those without a strong mathematical background.