Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Euler-Lagrange 2nd derivative

1. Nov 29, 2007 #1

neu

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm asked to get Maxwell's equations using the Euler-lagrange equation:

[tex]\partial\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial\left\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}\right)}\right)-\frac{\partial L}{\partial A_{\nu}}=0[/tex]

with the EM Langrangian density:

[tex]L=-\frac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}-j_{\mu}A^{\mu}[/tex]

where the electromagnetic field tensor is:

[tex]F^{\mu\nu}=\partial^{\mu}A^{\nu}-\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm able to multiply out the density with the full form of the tensor F to get:

[tex]\frac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}\left(\partial^{\mu}A^{\nu}-\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu}\right)=\frac{1}{2}\left(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}F^{\mu\nu}\right)[/tex]

My problem is that I know that the derivative w.r.t the scalar potential A for the 1st term in the density is zero as it only contains derivatives. i.e

[tex]\frac{\partial }{\partial A_{\mu}}\left(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}\partial^{\mu}A^{\nu}-\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu}\right)=0[/tex]

But I'm unable to show it explicity

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2007 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am not sure what you mean by "explicitly". As in other applications of the Lagrange formulation, you must treat [tex] A_\mu [/tex] and [tex] \partial_\nu A_\mu [/tex] independent quantities. So the derivative you wrote is trivially zero.

4. Nov 29, 2007 #3

neu

Thank you, that's very helpful.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook