Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler Lagrange Derivation (Taylor Series)

1. Jan 15, 2016 #1
    Mod note: Moved from Homework section
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Understand most of the derivation of the E-L just fine, but am confused about the fact that we can somehow Taylor expand ##L## in this way:

$$ L\bigg[ y+\alpha\eta(x),y'+\alpha \eta^{'}(x),x\bigg] = L \bigg[ y, y',x\bigg] + \frac{\partial L}{\partial y} \alpha \eta(x) + \frac{\partial L}{\partial y'} \alpha \eta^{'} + O^{2}(\alpha \eta) $$

I'm really uncomfortable with the idea that you can treat whole functions as independent of each other (when they are clearly not). I've looked up a lot of derivations online & from textbooks and none of them seem to bother to explain this. Am I missing something obvious? Surely the fact that ## y=f(x,t,\alpha )## should be taken into account somewhere?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2016 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The expansion looks ok. What dependence are you concerned about?

4. Jan 16, 2016 #3

Ssnow

Gold Member

Yes, it is exactly the Taylor expansion of ##L\left[y+\alpha\eta(x),y'+\alpha\eta'(x),x\right]## at the point ##(y,y',x)##, obviously the term with the partial derivative of ##x## there isn't because ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial x}\cdot(x-x)=0##...

5. Jan 20, 2016 #4
    Yes, I know, but why are we allowed to treat ##y(x)## and ##\dot{y}(x)## as independent variables? (as we are required to do for the Taylor series?) They clearly aren't independent.

6. Jan 20, 2016 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What's happening is that the symbols ##y, \dot{y}, x## are being used for two purposes. I'm only on my phone so it's difficult to type a lot of latex. Consider ##L## as any function of three variables. To be clear we will define ##L## using dummy variables ##X,Y,Z##

E.g we could define ##L(X,Y,Z) = X^2 + XYZ##

Now, we have three more functions by taking the partial derivatives of ##L##:

##L_X, L_Y, L_Z##

Using this notation for simplicity.

Finally, we can do the following Taylor expansion for ##L##

##L(X_0 + a, Y_0 + b, Z_0 + c) = L(X_0, Y_0, Z_0) + aL_X + bL_Y + cL_Z + \dots##

And that hold for any numerical values we choose for ##X_0, Y_0, Z_0, a, b, c##. In other words, that equation holds for whatever expressions we plug in to replace the dummy variables we've used.

In this case, the expressions happen to be expressions in ##x,y, \dot{y}, \eta##.

7. Jan 20, 2016 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

PS I forgot to mention:
    ## \frac{\partial L}{\partial y}##

Think of this not as the partial derivative of ##L## with respect to ##y##, but the function formed by taking the partial derivative of ##L## with respect to its first argument.

8. Jan 22, 2016 #7

Ssnow

Gold Member

Geometrically ##y(x)## is a function of ##x## and you can think this as subset of the euclidean space, as the graph of a function on the plane for example. The derivative ##\dot{y}(x)## represent the tangent direction of the graph of the function at the point ##x##. So ##\dot{y}(x)## generate the tangent space of ##y(x)## at ##x##. In general they lives in two different spaces...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook