1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate the Integral (Using ArcTrig)

1. Apr 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the integral:

2x - 5
    -------------
    x^2 + 2x + 2

2. Relevant equations
    (1/a) * arctan(u/a) + C
    ln|x| (?)

There was a similar problem in the book whose answer had ln|x|, however I am not sure if it will be used for this particular problem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started by splitting the terms up.

[2xdx / (x^2 + 2x + 2)] - [5dx / (x^2 + 2x + 2)]​

I then completed the square for the second term, resulting with this:

[(2xdx) / (x^2+2x+2)] - {5[dx/[(x+1)^2) + 1]}​

For the first section, aka: [(2xdx) / (x^2+2x+2)], this is what I have so far.

u = x^2+2x+2
    du = (2x + 2)dx​

It would have been okay if it was just 2xdx (I would have ended up with ln|x^2+2x+2|), but I have a 2dx since the dx is being multiplied. I don't think I can divide the 2dx and end up with

(1/2)dudx = 2xdx​

Because I will have dudx and that doesn't make sense. Which ultimately leads me to my final conclusion - I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I have to end up with an natural log somehow? But if so, I don't know how to get it.

For the second section, aka: {5[dx/[((x+1)^2) + 1]]}, this is what I got as an answer.

u^2 = (x+1)^2
    u = x+1
    du = dx
    a^2 = 1
    a = 1​

Thus,

5[arctan(x+1)] + C​

I hope that is correct?

Now the only problem is figuring out the first section :/

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2010 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Welcome to Physicsforums. Nice to see you are following forum guidelines and presenting us with the attempted work.

You will do a lot of these problems so it's best to learn a pattern for them: When you have the integral of a linear over a quadratic, you will usually get an arctangent term and a natural log term, with some special cases having just 1 of the two. So the best thing to do is to get the natural log term straight away by forcing the derivative into the numerator.

In this case, the denominator is x^2 + 2x + 2, so its derivative is 2x+2. Since you have 2x-5, add and subtract 7 from the numerator. So then split the numerator with one having (2x+2) and the other having (-7), as you have two very simple integrals left over.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook