Evaluate this index Integral containing Trig

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of evaluating ##B_{11}## given a certain equation involving the integration of sine functions. The individual calculating the value encounters difficulty with the second term in the integrand, but the correct answer is eventually determined to be ##\frac{3 \pi^2}{4}## when the index values are inserted at the beginning of the integration process.
bugatti79

Homework Statement

Folks Evaluate ##B_{11}## given

##\displaystyle B_{ij}=\int_0^1 (1+x) \frac{d \phi_i}{dx} \frac{ d\phi_j}{dx} dx## where ##\phi_i= sin i \pi x## and ##\phi_j=sin j \pi x##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculate ##\displaystyle B_{ij}=\int_0^1 (1+x)[ i \pi \cos(i \pi x))(j \pi \cos(j \pi x)]=ij \pi^2 \int_0^1 (1+x) \left[\frac{1}{2} [\cos(i+j)\pi x+\cos(i-j)\pi x\right ]dx##

##\displaystyle = \frac{ij \pi^{2}}{2} \int_0^1\left [ \cos(i+j) \pi x+\cos(i-j) \pi x +x \cos(i+j) \pi x+x \cos(i-j) \pi x \right ]dx##

Now for the second and last term in the integrand if we substitue ##i=j=1## after integrating we will get a 0 in the denominator ...but the book calculates ##B_{ij}=\frac{3 \pi^2}{4}##

What have I don't wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

##\displaystyle B_{ij}=\int_0^1 (1+x) \frac{d \phi_i}{dx} \frac{ d\phi_j}{dx} dx## where ##\phi_i= sin i \pi x## and ##\phi_j=sin j \pi x##

Homework Equations

I calculate ##\displaystyle B_{ij}=\int_0^1 (1+x)[ i \pi \cos(i \pi x))(j \pi \cos(j \pi x)]=ij \pi^2 \int_0^1 (1+x) \left[\frac{1}{2} [\cos(i+j)\pi x+\cos(i-j)\pi x\right ]dx##

##\displaystyle = \frac{ij \pi^{2}}{2} \int_0^1\left [ \cos(i+j) \pi x+\cos(i-j) \pi x +x \cos(i+j) \pi x+x \cos(i-j) \pi x \right ]dx##

Now for the second and last term in the integrand if we substitute ##i=j=1## after integrating we will get a 0 in the denominator ...but the book calculates ##B_{ij}=\frac{3 \pi^2}{4}##

What have I done wrong?
Did you mean to say "numerator" ?

cos(0) = 1

bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Now for the second and last term in the integrand if we substitue ##i=j=1## after integrating we will get a 0 in the denominator ...but the book calculates ##B_{ij}=\frac{3 \pi^2}{4}##

What have I don't wrong?

SammyS said:
Did you mean to say "numerator" ?

cos(0) = 1

Well no...looking at the second term ##\displaystyle \int_0^1 \cos(i-j) \pi x dx= \left [\frac{sin(i-j) \pi x}{\pi(i-j)} \right]_0^1## 1 is indeterminate...

I don't know how that answer ##\frac{3 \pi^2}{4}## was evaluated...

You can't integrate it like that when i=j. Assume i=j, simplify the integrand, and then integrate.

bugatti79 said:
Well no...looking at the second term ##\displaystyle \int_0^1 \cos(i-j) \pi x dx= \left [\frac{sin(i-j) \pi x}{\pi(i-j)} \right]_0^1## 1 is indeterminate...

I don't know how that answer ##\frac{3 \pi^2}{4}## was evaluated...
Well, if i = j then you are integrating cos((0)πx), but cos((0)πx) = 1

vela said:
You can't integrate it like that when i=j. Assume i=j, simplify the integrand, and then integrate.

SammyS said:
Well, if i = j then you are integrating cos((0)πx), but cos((0)πx) = 1

Thank you, I thought one has to insert the index values AFTER integration...? Where is the mathematical rule that asserts this?

Cheers

1. What is an index integral?

An index integral is a type of integral that involves a variable raised to a power, such as x^n. It is also known as a power integral.

2. What does it mean to evaluate an index integral?

Evaluating an index integral means finding the exact numerical value of the integral. This is typically done by using integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

3. How do I evaluate an index integral containing trigonometric functions?

To evaluate an index integral containing trigonometric functions, you can use trigonometric identities and integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of basic trigonometric properties and rules.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when evaluating an index integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid when evaluating an index integral include incorrect use of integration techniques, forgetting to include constants in the final answer, and making algebraic errors. It is important to double check your work and make sure all steps are accurate.

5. How can I check if my answer to an evaluated index integral is correct?

You can check if your answer to an evaluated index integral is correct by differentiating the result and seeing if it matches the original integrand. You can also use online tools or calculators to verify your answer.