Evaluating 2D Delta Function Integral - Any Help Appreciated

In summary: Even some applied math treatments (eg. L. Schwartz's "mathematics for the physical sciences") echo you point, and even frown on writing the delta distribution with an argument, such as ##\delta(x)##. However, most engineers and scientists write expressions like ##\delta(x)## or integrals with delta function integrands, and whether or not they realize it, these expressions are basically symbolic representations. One just needs to learn how the symbology works. In the above, the integral over ##x## can be viewed as the convolution of the delta function and the test-function ##1##, which results in a constant. The second integral is
junt
I am quite new here, and was wondering if anybody knows how this 2D integral is evaluated.
$$ \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty \delta(k_1 x-k_2y)\,dx\,dy$$Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
junt said:
I am quite new here, and was wondering if anybody knows how this 2D integral is evaluated.
$ \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty \delta(k_1 x-k_2y)\,dx\,dy$

Use "##" (without quotes) before your expression and after that, in order for the integral to display correctly.

You can also use "$$". The hashtags gives an inline LaTeX and the dollar signs gives non inline LaTeX. I have edited the post

Likes QuantumQuest
junt said:
...and was wondering if anybody knows how this 2D integral is evaluated.

What do you know about delta function so far?

junt said:
$$ \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty \delta(k_1 x-k_2y)\,dx\,dy$$
I think that integral diverges. You can evaluate the inside integral using the "sampling" property of the Delta function. Then you integrate that, and I don't think it converges.

junt said:
$$ \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty \delta(k_1 x-k_2y)\,dx\,dy$$Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mathematically, an integral such as this is undefined. You can't work with the delta function like this.

Dale said:
I think that integral diverges. You can evaluate the inside integral using the "sampling" property of the Delta function. Then you integrate that, and I don't think it converges.

I Agree. For ##k_1 \neq 0## we have,
$$ \begin{eqnarray}
\int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty \delta(k_1 x - k_2 y) dx \, dy & = & \frac{1}{|k_1|}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty \delta(x - k_2 y/k_1) dx \, dy \\
& = & \frac{1}{|k_1|}\int_{-\infty}^\infty dy
\end{eqnarray} $$
which diverges.

micromass said:
Mathematically, an integral such as this is undefined. You can't work with the delta function like this.
Even some applied math treatments (eg. L. Schwartz's "mathematics for the physical sciences") echo you point, and even frown on writing the delta distribution with an argument, such as ##\delta(x)##. However, most engineers and scientists write expressions like ##\delta(x)## or integrals with delta function integrands, and whether or not they realize it, these expressions are basically symbolic representations. One just needs to learn how the symbology works. In the above, the integral over ##x## can be viewed as the convolution of the delta function and the test-function ##1##, which results in a constant. The second integral is then the integral of that constant over the real line, which diverges. As an engineer it doesn't bother me ... but I realize that some confusion and wrong results can probably be traced back to the integral notation. Just my 2 cents

Jason

Related to Evaluating 2D Delta Function Integral - Any Help Appreciated

1. What is a 2D delta function integral?

A 2D delta function integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to solve problems involving two-dimensional functions. It is an integral that involves the Dirac delta function, which is a type of distribution that is often used to represent point sources in physics and engineering.

2. How do you evaluate a 2D delta function integral?

To evaluate a 2D delta function integral, you must first determine the limits of integration and then use the properties of the delta function to simplify the integral. This typically involves converting the integral into a one-dimensional integral and then applying the properties of the delta function to solve it. A thorough understanding of calculus and the properties of the delta function is required to successfully evaluate these types of integrals.

3. What are the applications of 2D delta function integrals?

2D delta function integrals have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to model point sources in electromagnetic and gravitational fields, as well as to solve problems involving two-dimensional distributions of charge, mass, or energy. They are also used in signal processing and image analysis to extract information from two-dimensional data.

4. Are there any tips for solving 2D delta function integrals?

One useful tip for solving 2D delta function integrals is to remember that the delta function has a value of zero everywhere except at the origin, where it has a value of infinity. This property can be used to simplify integrals and reduce them to one-dimensional problems. It can also be helpful to practice using the properties of the delta function to solve simpler integrals before tackling more complex ones.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when evaluating 2D delta function integrals?

One common mistake when evaluating 2D delta function integrals is forgetting to include the limits of integration when converting the integral into a one-dimensional problem. This can lead to incorrect solutions. It is also important to carefully apply the properties of the delta function, as any errors in simplifying the integral can result in incorrect answers. Additionally, it is important to check for any discontinuities in the integrand, as these can affect the final solution.