How Do You Evaluate a Sinc Integral in Quantum Scattering Theory?

• Thread starter Demon117
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about determining the scattering amplitude from a repulsive potential, V(r) = A/r^2, and using the sinc-integral function to evaluate it. The resource mentioned for understanding the sinc-integral is MathWorld, specifically the page on the Sinc Function.
Demon117
Howdy. I am trying to determine the scattering amplitude from a repulsive potential given by [itex]V(r) = \frac{A}{r^{2}}[/itex]. What I have so far is this:

[itex]f = -\frac{4\pi\mu}{2\pi\hbar^{2}}\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{(sin(kr))}{kr} dr[/itex]

I know this is a sinc-integral, but I am not quite sure how to evaluate those since I've never come across them. One resource suggests that its done by contour integration but I fail to see the connection. If you could, please guide me through this process or at least give me a resource that explains this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That link helped a lot. Thanks!

FAQ: How Do You Evaluate a Sinc Integral in Quantum Scattering Theory?

1. What is a sinc-integral?

A sinc-integral is a mathematical function that is defined as the integral of the sinc function, which is equal to the ratio of the sine function and its argument. It is commonly used in signal processing and Fourier analysis.

2. How is a sinc-integral evaluated?

A sinc-integral can be evaluated using various numerical integration methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. It can also be approximated using series expansions or special functions, such as the Fresnel integral.

3. What is the significance of evaluating a sinc-integral?

Evaluating a sinc-integral is important in many areas of science and engineering, especially in signal processing and Fourier analysis. It is also used in solving differential equations, calculating probability distributions, and evaluating complex integrals.

4. What are some applications of a sinc-integral?

The sinc-integral has various applications in fields such as physics, electrical engineering, and mathematics. It is used in analyzing signals and systems, designing filters, and solving boundary value problems. It also has applications in optics, quantum mechanics, and probability theory.

5. Are there any limitations to evaluating a sinc-integral?

One limitation of evaluating a sinc-integral is that it may not have a closed form solution for certain arguments or integrals. In these cases, numerical methods or approximations must be used. Additionally, the convergence of the integral may be slow for certain functions or values, requiring careful selection of integration methods.