1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating limit by converting to integral

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    Trying to evaluate the a limit, the following integral came up:

[itex]\int_0^1 \dfrac{log(1+t)}{t}dt[/itex]

How can this integral be evaluated using basic techniques?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi manankhurma! welcome to pf! :smile:

hmm :rolleyes: … looks symmetric, doesn't it? :wink:

try integrating by parts, then using a substitution, and fiddling around …

what do you get? :smile:

4. Feb 29, 2012 #3
    I would use a different method, this is a complicated integral. And it is hard if not impossible to solve it using standard methods. Below is one way to evaluate it

[tex]I = \int_{0}^{1} \frac{\log(t+1)}{t} \mathrm{d}t[/tex]

Since we are integrating over [0,1] a smart idea, is to use the maclaurin expantion of [tex]\log(t+1) = t - \frac{1}{2}t^2 + \frac{1}{3}t^3 - \frac{1}{4}t^4 + ... + \frac{1}{n}(-t)^{n} [/tex]

<< Rest of solution deleted by Moderator >>

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
  5. Feb 29, 2012 #4
    Although you did give an answer without the OP showing much effort, I must say that the above solution is very elegant!

6. Feb 29, 2012 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Even though this thread was originally posted in the general technical math forums, you should assume that the OP is posting something related to schoolwork, especially if they show no effort to solve it on their own.

The thread is moved to the Homeowork Help forums, and I've deleted the end of your post with the worked-out solution. Your initial hint is very good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook