Does the limit exist for a function that oscillates between 2 and -2?

• Thread starter appplejack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to evaluate the limit of a function that oscillates between 2 and -2 when x approaches 0. The speaker suggests using the sequential criterion for limits to prove that the limit does not exist, and gives an example of two sequences that would work in this case. The other person asks for a simpler explanation, to which the speaker responds by explaining that for a limit to exist, all sequences approaching the limit must give the same value. They give an example using rational and irrational numbers to show that the limit in this case does not exist.
appplejack

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following limit
lim x->0 f(x) = 2, x rational, -2, x irrational

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to draw the graph of this question but couldn't. Do you think I have a function that oscillates between 2 and -2 violently?
My best guess is that the limit doesn't exist but I want to have better explanation than mine.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks like a slightly modified Dirichlet function to me. Between any 2 rational numbers is there an irrational number? And between any irrational number is there a rational number?

Also, what is this limit to? Limit as x goes to what?

my apology. x->0.
There's no irrational number between 2 rational numbers. Vice versa no?

er...

Does your last statement make sense?

Between 1 and 2 is there an irrational number?

When you suspect that a limit does not exist, you can make use of the sequential criterion for limits. The criterion loosely states a limit [itex]\lim_{x→c}f(x)=L[/itex] exists if and only if for every sequence [itex](x_n)[/itex] that converges to [itex]c[/itex] it follows that [itex]\lim_{n→∞}f(x_n)=L[/itex].

So if you want to prove that the limit does not exist you can do so by showing that there exist two sequences [itex](x_n)[/itex] and [itex](y_n)[/itex] that converge to [itex]c[/itex] and satisfy [itex]\lim_{n→∞}f(x_n)\neq \lim_{n→∞}f(y_n)[/itex].

Does this make sense to you? Can you construct two sequences that would work in your case?

Sorry. Could you explain it easier?

For a limit to exist, every time we make a sequence approach 0, the corresponding function values must approach the same number.

For example:

If I choose a sequence of rational numbers: 1,1/2,1/4,...

We get: f(1),f(1/2),f(1/4),...

So we get 2,2,2,... and this approaches 2.

However, if we look at e,e/2,e/4,...

We get: f(e),f(e/2),f(e/4),...

So we get -2,-2,-2,... and we get -2.

Since these are two different values, the limit does not exist.

1. What is the purpose of evaluating a limit question?

Evaluating a limit question helps us understand the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific value. This can provide insight into the overall behavior of the function and help us make predictions about its output.

2. How do you determine if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the function approaches the same value from both the left and right sides of the specified point. If the function approaches different values or approaches infinity, the limit does not exist.

3. Can a limit be evaluated at the specified point?

No, a limit cannot be evaluated at the specified point because it only considers the behavior of the function as it approaches that point, not the value at that point.

4. What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function approaching the specified point from one side, either the left or the right. A two-sided limit considers the behavior from both sides and only exists if the function approaches the same value from both sides.

5. How do you use algebraic methods to evaluate a limit?

To evaluate a limit algebraically, you can use properties of limits, such as the sum, difference, product, or quotient rules. You can also use algebraic manipulation techniques, such as factoring or rationalizing the numerator or denominator, to simplify the expression and evaluate the limit.