Evaluating this particular integral

• Thread starter thelibertine1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the evaluation of a double integral in a paper. The second integral contains a function of both X and Ψ, but only needs to be integrated with respect to X. The suggestion is made to treat Ψ as a constant, as it will still result in a function of X after integration. This idea is met with initial hesitation due to the analogy of Ψ and X to the y and x coordinate system, but it is ultimately seen as a valid approach to solving the integral.
thelibertine1
I'm trying to numerically evaluate an integral in a paper of the form;

∫ ƒ(Ψ) dΨ ∫ ƒ(X,Ψ) dX

The second part of the integral contains a function of both X and Ψ, yet it only needs to be integrated with respect to X. This has confused me on what to use as a value for Ψ.

I've attached the integral below (excuse the scribbling). As you can see, the last integral is evaluated for dX, but contains Ψ and X.

Any help much appreciated.

WP_20141127_20_17_31_Pro.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you thought about treating ##\psi## as a constant in the second integral? It doesn't appear to me that the second integral has a function of both ##\chi## and ##\psi##.
Just a thought.

AMenendez said:
Have you thought about treating ##\psi## as a constant in the second integral? It doesn't appear to me that the second integral has a function of both ##\chi## and ##\psi##.
Just a thought.

I did think about that but in the context ##\psi## and ##\chi## are analogous to y and x coordinate system so it's like a integral over 2D space. If I chose ##\psi## as a constant... I wouldn't know what to set it as. Also, ##\alpha## is a function of ##\psi## making the second integral a function of both ##\psi## and ##\chi##.

I see what you mean. Honestly, the way I would do it is evaluate it with respect to ##\chi## but treat ##\psi## as a constant. You don't really need to worry about "what to set ##\psi## as". When you integrate a function of ##\psi## with respect to ##\chi##, you'll still get a function of ##\chi## as a result, so setting ##\psi## equal to something for the sake of doing the integral isn't much of a concern.

FAQ: Evaluating this particular integral

What is the purpose of evaluating a particular integral?

The purpose of evaluating a particular integral is to find the exact numerical value of the integral, which represents the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a certain interval. This can have practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are the different methods for evaluating a particular integral?

There are several methods for evaluating a particular integral, including substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, partial fractions, and the use of special functions such as the Gamma and Beta functions. The most appropriate method depends on the complexity of the integral and the available tools.

What are the key properties to consider when evaluating a particular integral?

Some key properties to consider when evaluating a particular integral include the bounds of integration, the integrand function, and the type of integral (definite or indefinite). It is also important to consider any symmetries or patterns in the integrand that may simplify the evaluation process.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when evaluating a particular integral?

One common mistake when evaluating a particular integral is forgetting to include the constant of integration when evaluating indefinite integrals. It is also important to carefully apply the chosen method and avoid algebraic errors such as forgetting to distribute or simplify terms.

How can I check if my answer for an evaluated integral is correct?

One way to check the correctness of an evaluated integral is to take the derivative of the result and see if it matches the original integrand. Another method is to use a graphing calculator to plot the integrand and the evaluated integral and see if the areas under the curve match. Additionally, double-checking the calculations and using multiple methods can help ensure the accuracy of the answer.