Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating this particular integral

1. Nov 27, 2014 #1
    I'm trying to numerically evaluate an integral in a paper of the form;

∫ ƒ(Ψ) dΨ ∫ ƒ(X,Ψ) dX

The second part of the integral contains a function of both X and Ψ, yet it only needs to be integrated with respect to X. This has confused me on what to use as a value for Ψ.

I've attached the integral below (excuse the scribbling). As you can see, the last integral is evaluated for dX, but contains Ψ and X.

Any help much appreciated.

WP_20141127_20_17_31_Pro.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2014 #2
    Have you thought about treating ##\psi## as a constant in the second integral? It doesn't appear to me that the second integral has a function of both ##\chi## and ##\psi##.
    Just a thought.

4. Nov 27, 2014 #3
    I did think about that but in the context ##\psi## and ##\chi## are analogous to y and x coordinate system so it's like a integral over 2D space. If I chose ##\psi## as a constant... I wouldn't know what to set it as. Also, ##\alpha## is a function of ##\psi## making the second integral a function of both ##\psi## and ##\chi##.

5. Nov 27, 2014 #4
    I see what you mean. Honestly, the way I would do it is evaluate it with respect to ##\chi## but treat ##\psi## as a constant. You don't really need to worry about "what to set ##\psi## as". When you integrate a function of ##\psi## with respect to ##\chi##, you'll still get a function of ##\chi## as a result, so setting ##\psi## equal to something for the sake of doing the integral isn't much of a concern.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook