Evaluating triple integral with spherical coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of changing the coordinates and function for an iterated integral into spherical coordinates. The initial attempt at substitution leads to a complicated result, but after simplifying the equation, the solution becomes clearer. The conversation also mentions the possibility of providing a picture of the work for further clarification.
Alex Bard

Homework Statement

Evaluate the iterated integral ∫ (from 0 to 1) ∫ [from -sqrt(1-x^2) to sqrt(1-x^2) ] ∫ (from 0 to 2-x^2-y^2)

the function given as √(x^2 + y^2) dz dy dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I changed the coordinates and I got the new limits as

∫(from 0 to pi) ∫(from (3pi)/2 to pi/2) ∫(from 0 to √2) √(x^2 + y^2) ρ^2 sin phi dρ dphi dθ

What I'm having problems is with changing the function I need to integrate into spherical coordinates. Should I replace the values of x and y for it's spherical counterparts or is there an easier way via u-sub, etc?

When i try to sub in x = ρ sin phi sin ρ and y = ρ sin phi cos ρ I get a mess. Can anyone nudge me in the right direction please?

Physics news on Phys.org
When i try to sub in x = ρ sin phi sin ρ and y = ρ sin phi cos ρ I get a mess.
What do you get? This should give a nice result.

Thanks for answering mfb,

First I noticed I made a mistake, in spherical coordinates

x= ρ sin[itex]\phi[/itex]cosθ
y= ρ sin[itex]\phi[/itex]sinθ

so now when I substitute that into the formula, I will get

[itex]√[(ρ sin \phi cosθ)^2 + (ρ sin \phi sinθ)^2[/itex]]

What I get stuck with is I can't get rid of the square root. My process, so far, has been to expand everything, using the identity of cos/sin^2(x) to expand to either 1/2(1 +/- cos(2x) etc.

At the end, before the first integration or even getting ρ^2 or sin phi involved, i get the answer below.

[itex]√[ρ^2(\frac{1-cos(2 \phi)}{2})][/itex]

I can probably take a picture of my work to post if that would help. Otherwise its a lot of writing. Please let me know what information you need to see where i made the mistake.

Alex Bard said:
Thanks for answering mfb,

First I noticed I made a mistake, in spherical coordinates

x= ρ sin[itex]\phi[/itex]cosθ
y= ρ sin[itex]\phi[/itex]sinθ

so now when I substitute that into the formula, I will get

[itex]√[(ρ sin \phi cosθ)^2 + (ρ sin \phi sinθ)^2[/itex]]

What I get stuck with is I can't get rid of the square root. My process, so far, has been to expand everything, using the identity of cos/sin^2(x) to expand to either 1/2(1 +/- cos(2x) etc.

At the end, before the first integration or even getting ρ^2 or sin phi involved, i get the answer below.

[itex]√[ρ^2(\frac{1-cos(2 \phi)}{2})][/itex]

I can probably take a picture of my work to post if that would help. Otherwise its a lot of writing. Please let me know what information you need to see where i made the mistake.

You're making it way too hard:$$
\sqrt{(ρ sin \phi cosθ)^2 + (ρ sin \phi sinθ)^2}=\sqrt{\rho^2\sin^2\phi(
\cos^2\theta +\sin^2\theta)}$$Now do you see how to simplify it?

1. How do spherical coordinates differ from Cartesian coordinates?

Spherical coordinates use a radius, an azimuth angle, and a polar angle to locate a point in space, while Cartesian coordinates use three perpendicular axes (x, y, z).

2. What is the formula for converting a triple integral from Cartesian to spherical coordinates?

The formula is: ∫∫∫ f(x,y,z) dV = ∫∫∫ f(r,θ,φ) r^2 sinφ dr dθ dφ

3. How do you determine the limits of integration for a triple integral in spherical coordinates?

The limits of integration for r, θ, and φ are determined by the boundaries of the region of integration in spherical coordinates. The limits for r are typically from 0 to the radius of the sphere, the limits for θ are from 0 to 2π, and the limits for φ are from 0 to π.

4. What is the significance of the Jacobian in evaluating a triple integral with spherical coordinates?

The Jacobian is a determinant that accounts for the change in volume when converting from Cartesian to spherical coordinates. It is necessary for accurately evaluating the integral in spherical coordinates.

5. Can any triple integral be evaluated using spherical coordinates?

No, spherical coordinates are only suitable for evaluating triple integrals where the region of integration is a sphere or a portion of a sphere. For other types of regions, other coordinate systems may be necessary.