Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluation of a definite integral

1. Aug 22, 2014 #1

dyn

I am looking at a solution to an question and I don't understand how the value of the following definite integral comes out to be zero ? The following function is evaluated from 0 to ∞ with r being the variable

## exp(-β^2r^2)r^nr^-1/(n-1)## That should read r raised to the power of (n-1)
    I presume when the value of ∞ is input the negative exponential turns out to be zero but I don't understand how inputting zero gives a value of zero ?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

which? where?
    Did you mean to write: $$\int_0^\infty e^{-\beta^2r^2}r^{n-1}\;dr$$

What do you think it should come out to?
    What is beta? What is "n"?

4. Aug 22, 2014 #3

dyn

You have got the function right but it also has a factor of 1/(n-1). This function was derived from integration by parts. It just needs evaluating with the values ∞ and 0. When I input 0 I have exp(0) which is 1 and 0 to the power (n-1) which I thought is also 1. But overall the answer should be zero

5. Aug 23, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Oh you mean you've done an integral and you have ended up at this stage: $$\frac{1}{n-1}\left[ e^{-\beta^2r^2} r^{n-1}\right]_0^\infty$$
    ... when you put ##r=0## into ##r^{(n-1)}## you get ##0^{n-1}## right?
    What is zero multiplied by itself? i.e. if n=3, then n-1=2 and ##0^2=0\times 0 = ?##

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  6. Aug 23, 2014 #5

dyn

Thanks for that. Somehow I was under the impression that zero raised to any power was 1 !

7. Aug 23, 2014 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You just got a rule stuck in your head, that's all.
    Happens to everyone ;)

8. Aug 24, 2014 #7

dyn

Thanks. I did get the wrong rule stuck in my head. But what would happen at r=o if n=1 then I would have zero to the power of zero which I believe is 1 ? I also have a zero on the denominator. Is it impossible to evaluate in this case ? Incidentally the question did state n≥2 so I am just asking for future reference.

9. Aug 24, 2014 #8

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should review the rules of exponentiation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponentiation

The expression 0^0 (zero raised to the zeroth power) is considered, in general, an indeterminate form. 0^n is defined only for integers n > 0. There may be certain formulas which require that 0^0 be evaluated as equal to one, but these are exceptions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook