1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Evaluation of definite integral

1. Mar 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data Need to evaluate int(-inf,inf)(x/(x^3+1)).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution I don't believe finding the residues will be a problem. However, the integral is over the whole real line, and there is a singularity at -1 on the real line, so I'm not sure how to draw an appropriate contour to integrate around. Am I supposed to integrate over a keyhole contour avoiding the singularity at -1 from the right and then from the left? Any help / advice will be much appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might want to check if the integral actually exists/converges before worrying about contours.

4. Mar 27, 2010 #3
    My book says it is equal to pi/sqrt(3) :)

5. Mar 27, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hmm...

[tex]\lim_{\epsilon\to 0} \left[\int_{-\infty}^{-1-\epsilon} \frac{x}{x^3+1}dx+\int^{\infty}_{-1+\epsilon} \frac{x}{x^3+1}dx\right]=\frac{\pi}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]

But, I don't think you can say that is the same thing as [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{x}{x^3+1}dx[/itex]. Mathematica seems to agree with me, that the integral doesn't converge. I don't think [itex]x=-1[/itex] is a removable singularity.

6. Mar 27, 2010 #5
    Yeah... MATLAB seems to say the same thing.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook