Evaporation of a mostly sealed erlenmeyer flask

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the evaporation rate of a 3L erlenmeyer flask with a rubber stopper and a 1mm radius hole for a steel drip line. The process would take several days and the humidity and air movement are important factors. Suggestions are made to reduce the gap and experimentally determine the evaporation rate. The need to find the function that relates the volumetric flow rate and evaporation rate is also mentioned.
Slimjimi
I am trying to determine whether the evaporation rate of a 3L erlenmeyer flask would be negligible given the following circumstances. The flask would have a rubber stopper in it, with a hole approximately 1mm in radius greater than the steel drip line feeding into it (leaving an open ring that has an outer diameter of ~8mm and an inner diameter of ~6mm). I would like to take realtime mass measurements as the drip line does it's thing. The process would span several days, so evaporation has to be taken into account. The process is drawn roughly here:

H2OCollection.png

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would expect ~100% relative humidity inside, with a water density depending on the temperature of the environment. If you add a volume of X, the same volume of (humid) air leaves the flask and takes away some mass.

Apart from that, it is probably hard to evaluate, as the air movement inside+outside is important. Can you reduce the gap somehow? If you do not have to measure the weight continuously, maybe you can close it most of the time.
Can you determine it experimentally? Just fill it with your fluid, wait one day and compare the mass?

Ahh, yes, I was thinking of the evaporation rate in a static system. But since we'll be adding water to the flask (at a rate less than 1mL/min), each drop will push out a corresponding amount of humid vapor. Good point mfb. I worked on minimizing the gap yesterday, once I've completed that, I will experimentally determine the difference between static and dynamic evaporation. Furthermore, I'll have to find the function that relates the volumetric flow rate in and the evaporation rate.

Thanks!

1. How does the evaporation of a mostly sealed erlenmeyer flask occur?

The evaporation of a mostly sealed erlenmeyer flask occurs due to the movement of molecules from the liquid phase to the gas phase. This process is known as vaporization, and it is driven by the difference in vapor pressure between the liquid and the surrounding atmosphere.

2. Does the rate of evaporation depend on the contents inside the flask?

Yes, the rate of evaporation can vary depending on the contents inside the flask. Factors such as the temperature, humidity, and surface area of the liquid can affect the rate of evaporation. Additionally, the presence of solutes in the liquid can also impact the rate of evaporation.

3. What is the role of temperature in the evaporation of a mostly sealed erlenmeyer flask?

Temperature plays a crucial role in the evaporation of a mostly sealed erlenmeyer flask. As the temperature increases, the molecules in the liquid gain more kinetic energy, leading to an increase in vapor pressure and a higher rate of evaporation.

4. Can evaporation occur in a sealed erlenmeyer flask?

Yes, evaporation can occur in a sealed erlenmeyer flask. Even though the flask is mostly sealed, there may still be small openings or imperfections that allow molecules to escape in the form of vapor. Additionally, the liquid inside the flask may have a higher vapor pressure than the surrounding atmosphere, leading to evaporation.

5. What are the potential causes of a decrease in the liquid level inside a sealed erlenmeyer flask?

A decrease in the liquid level inside a sealed erlenmeyer flask can be due to evaporation, leakage, or changes in temperature and pressure. If the flask is truly sealed and there are no leaks, then evaporation may be the most likely cause of the decrease in the liquid level.