1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Exactly why are these two expressions similar?

1. Aug 22, 2016 #1
    So if angular momentum

[itex]

L = m r^2 \dot {\theta}

[/itex]

and we take the first time derivative

[itex]

\frac {d}{dt} L = 2mr \dot {r} \dot {\theta} + m r^2 \ddot {\theta}

[/itex]

the first term looks similar to the Coriolis force [itex] 2m( \bf {v} x \bf { \dot {\theta} } ) [/itex]
    but I can't figure out why. Of course they both have to do with rotation so I'm guessing that it's not a coincidence, but I can't quite arrive at the exact mathematical connection between the two expressions.

Would anyone like to help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Doesn't look similar to me. Cross product vs. no cross product, and then you have the additional radius in one equation.

4. Aug 22, 2016 #3
    Yes, I should have expressed angular momentum and its time derivative as vectors as well, then we'd have cross products on both sides.

For the moment my hunch reasoning goes like this:

1.) In a rotating frame of reference, a "floating by" object (one not acted on by external forces) is subject to two fictious forces — centrifugal and Coriolis.

2.) A force causes a change in (linear) momentum.

3.) Angular momentum is a function of linear momentum, therefore a change in one is likely to effect a change in the other.

4.) The time derivative of angular momentum expresses a change in angular momentum.

So there's a connection. Hopefully this is enough to lead me through the mathematics and see if the similarity of the two terms mentioned in the OP is a coincidence or not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted