Exam Question Help: Solve Force/Acceleration Problem w/ g, Sin30, Cos30

• Thread starter leenix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, a person pulls a box, which has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.1, for a distance of 40 m. The box moves horizontally with a force of 100 N.
leenix

Homework Statement

Info : g=10ms^-2 Sin30=0.5 Cos30=0.866

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8332/xfgdda0.jpg

A box of mass m = 50 kg is initially at rest at point A on a floor with coefficient of kinetic friction μk = 0.1 (see figure below). A person starts pulling the box for a distance Δx = 40 m (from point A to point B) with a force FP = 100 N which acts at a 30o angle as shown in the figure and the box moves horizontally.

a) Draw the free-body diagram of all forces acting on the box

b) Find the normal force FN on the box

c) Find the friction force Ffr on the box

d) Calculate the acceleration a of the box

Homework Equations

– the equation for net force (Fnet = m * a),

– the equation for gravitational force (Fgrav = m * g), and

– the equation for frictional force (Ffrict = µ * Fnorm).

- a=Fnet / m

The Attempt at a Solution

Crap attempts not really worth mentioning.
I can do the Free Body Diagram with No problem.
But can't find the rest, the Equations just don't add up :(

I really need this solved so i can continue studying for my exams :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The box is in equilibrium in the vertical direction so what does that tell you about the sum of the forces in the vertical direction (The force due to the rope, the force due to gravity, and the normal force)

There is a relationship between the normal force found above and the kinetic friction. The force Ffrict = µ * Fnorm as you stated, so it shouldn't be hard to find.

Once you know the friction force you now know the total force in the horizontal direction and can apply Newton's law F=ma or a=F/m

Ffrict=0.1*0? Because the Fnet = 0 right? :S

Ok I'm near to solving the excercise.

The only thing i need now is to find the Ffriction which I've been brainstorming for hours now and i can't find.

Can someone give me the answer for ffr? :S

1. What is the formula for calculating force using acceleration and gravity?

The formula for calculating force using acceleration and gravity is F=ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

2. How do I solve for acceleration in a force problem using g, Sin30, and Cos30?

To solve for acceleration in a force problem using g, Sin30, and Cos30, you can use the formula a=F/m, where F is the force in Newtons, and m is the mass in kilograms. You will also need to use the values for g, Sin30, and Cos30, which can be found in a physics formula sheet or by using a calculator.

3. Can I use different units for force and mass in the force/acceleration formula?

No, in order to get an accurate calculation for acceleration, the units for force and mass must be consistent. For example, if force is given in pounds, then mass must be given in pounds as well.

4. How do I know if I need to use g, Sin30, or Cos30 in a force problem?

If you are given a force problem involving objects on Earth, you will need to use the value for g, which is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth (9.8 m/s^2). If the objects are on an incline or at an angle, you will need to use Sin30 or Cos30 to find the components of the force in the x and y directions.

5. Are there any special cases in which I cannot use the force/acceleration formula?

Yes, the force/acceleration formula assumes that the force is constant and the mass is constant. If either of these variables is changing, the formula may not give an accurate result. Additionally, the formula is only applicable for linear motion and may not work for rotational motion or other types of motion.