1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Example Proof using Complex Numbers

1. Aug 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://www-thphys.physics.ox.ac.uk/people/JamesBinney/complex.pdf
    Example 1.2 (Page 6)

2. Relevant equations
    De Moivre's Theorem, Euler's Formula, and other simple complex number theory formulas

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm having troubles understanding the format, which makes me thing the author is assuming prior knowledge in another area of math.

What I don't understand is where he gets the mSYMBOL format from. I don't know what that symbol is, so I couldn't google it. I get all of the simplifying, except for when the conversion happens to and from the mSYMBOL. It looks like he's simply converting the sin(2n + 1) to the complex exponential function, but how can you do that without i?

I know sin(n) = 1/(2i) * (e^(in)-e^(-in)), but that's not even close to the result they got.

If that's the case, then my question is, how is this transformation happening?

Again, I understand the simplifying of the series, just not the transformation to and from the complex exponential.

Hopefully I explained that well enough. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2011 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

That symbol just means the imaginary part.

For example for Euler's formula e=cosθ+ isinθ so that Imaginary part of e, written as Im(e) = sinθ.

So the imaginary part of ei(2n+1)θ, written as Im(ei(2n+1)θ)=sin(2n+1)θ

4. Aug 21, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the help :).

I now understand where they get the sin(x) + rsin(x) in the numerator, and where the 1 + r^2 comes from in the denominator. However, how do they get the 2rcos(2x) in the denominator?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out.

I forgot about cos(x) = 1/2(e^ix + e^-ix).

Thanks again.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook