Exercise superposition difficulties

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of solving an exercise involving resistors and voltage and current sources. It is determined that the 20Ω and 40Ω resistors are in parallel, while the 10Ω and 2.5Ω resistors are in series. Redrawing the circuit in a more conventional way can help with visualization. The conversation also discusses finding the voltage in the 40 ohm resistor with a shorted voltage source and an open current source. It is determined that using voltage divider is the best method for solving this problem.
esmeco
Hello!

I'm having a bit of a difficulty trying to solve this exercise mostly because of the resistors.
So,when short circuiting the voltage source we have the 20ohm in parallel with 40 ohm right?But what about the other resistors are they in parallel or in series with the result 20//40?The exercise tells to determine the voltage with superposition in the 40ohm resistor.
And what about if we open circuit the current source?Are the 2.5 ohms and 10ohm in series with each other?
What kind of process should I adopt to solve for the voltage in 40ohm resistor?Currents in equal currents out?

Any help is really appreciated!

Attachments

• circuit2.JPG
    circuit2.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 345
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone can help me?

Short ciruciting the voltage source makes the 20Ω and 40Ω share two common nodes, so they are in parallel. That combination share one node with the 10Ω, so they are in series. Then that combination share two commons with the 2.5Ω resistor and the combination of resistances is in series with the current source.

And what about if we open circuit the current source?Are the 2.5 ohms and 10ohm in series with each other?
The 2.5Ω and 10Ω have one node in common. Therefore they are . . . ?

Voltage drop, V, across a resistor of resistance R is given by V = i R where i is the current through the resistor.

Try redrawing

One thing that always helps me is redrawing a messy looking circuit to something more conventional. This may help you to visualize what Astronuc was taking about. [Sorry for the sloppiness].

Attachments

• circuit_redraw.bmp
    92 KB · Views: 454
But,doesn't the combination 20//40 also shares a node with 2.5ohm resistor besides the 10ohm?

The redrawn image has been approved. Following Astro's advice can you now make it out?

esmeco said:
But,doesn't the combination 20//40 also shares a node with 2.5ohm resistor besides the 10ohm?
Yes, the 20//40 share one common node with the 2.5Ω resistor, and they share one common node with the 10Ω resistor, but those two common nodes are different.

The 20//40Ω + 10Ω are parallel with the 2.5Ω resistor.

So,the KCl for the shorted voltage would be something like this:

va/2.5 + (va-vb)/10=6
(va-vb)/10=vb/10 + vb/20

Am I right?

Oh,and could the voltage in the 40 resistor in the open current source be calculated by 10 and 2.5 in series,in parallel with 40 volts,in series with 20 resistor,and then calculate the total current since we have the 100 voltage source.And with the total current calculated multiplied by the 40 ohm resistor in order to determine the tension in the resistor?

esmeco said:
Oh,and could the voltage in the 40 resistor in the open current source be calculated by 10 and 2.5 in series,in parallel with 40 volts,in series with 20 resistor,and then calculate the total current since we have the 100 voltage source.And with the total current calculated multiplied by the 40 ohm resistor in order to determine the tension in the resistor?

You were correct until the last sentence. The total current gets split between the 40 ohm branch and the 10 + 2.5 series branch. The best way to find that voltage is to keep the 40 || (10 + 2.5) combination together and use voltage divider for that combination and the 20 ohm. This works because the voltage across the 10 + 2 combination is the same as the voltage across the 40 since they're in parallel.

Voltage divider, if you don't recall is Vbranch = Vtotal * (Rbranch/Rtotal) and only works on series circuits.

Last edited:

1. What is exercise superposition?

Exercise superposition is a principle in exercise science that refers to the difficulty of performing multiple exercises at once. It involves combining different exercises in a single movement or workout routine.

2. Why is exercise superposition difficult?

Exercise superposition can be difficult because it requires coordination, balance, and strength to perform multiple exercises simultaneously. It also challenges the body in new ways, making it more physically demanding than traditional exercises.

3. What are the benefits of exercise superposition?

The benefits of exercise superposition include increased efficiency and effectiveness of workouts, as well as improved coordination, balance, and overall physical fitness. It also allows for a more dynamic and varied workout routine.

4. Are there any risks associated with exercise superposition?

Like any form of exercise, there are potential risks associated with exercise superposition. These include overexertion, muscle strain, and injury if proper form and technique are not maintained. It is important to consult a professional and start with lower intensity exercises before attempting more advanced superposition exercises.

5. How can I incorporate exercise superposition into my workout routine?

To incorporate exercise superposition into your workout routine, start by selecting exercises that target different muscle groups and can be easily combined. Gradually increase the intensity and difficulty as you become more comfortable with the movements. It is also important to listen to your body and adjust as needed to avoid injury.