Exercising for Better Studying: Benefits & Tips

In summary, good exercise can be a booster to cognitive functions, but it's important to get your heart rate up on a regular basis. A lot of the benefits come from doing physical activity that you enjoy.
jamalkoiyess
Hello PF,
I have heard many times and read in many places that good exercise for at least half an hour a day can be a booster to cognitive functions and helps with studying. And my university campus is huge so everyday just getting from one place to another stackes up into a 12000 steps a day of walking, which is higher than demanded as daily exercice. Does this mean that i do not have to exercice? Or the fact of going to a gym and doing nothing but exercice intentionally is the only way to get the benefits ?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Walking (while better than nothing) is a low intensity exercise. It won't ever elevate your pulse to 130 bpm, which is a part of an often suggested (at least where I live) 3*30*130 minimum (exercise 3 times a week per 30 minutes with at least 130 bpm).

Likes jamalkoiyess
One benefit from exercising, consciously, deliberately excercising, that is likely not to be mentioned is that if done with awareness is that it is a break from study.

Exercise tends to balance the left and right side of the body. It improves digestion, balances the back muscles etc and in this and other ways benefits the mind and study.

If you always carry books etc on one shoulder, carry it on the other too. Swing both arms. A lot of this can be easier to do unencumbered on a track or in a gym.

Likes jamalkoiyess
I agree with Borek. 12000 steps is great, but it's important to get your heart rate up on a regular basis and I would add that some kind of strength training is beneficial as well.

This doesn't mean you have to go to a gym. You can get exercise through sports, physical labour, or recreational activities like martial arts or dancing. One of the big keys to getting regular exercise is figuring out a way to enjoy it. Some people really like gyms - plugging a pair of headphones into a treadmill and running some simulated hills. Others need to actually run up and down those hills.

Likes jamalkoiyess
Choppy said:
Some people really like gyms - plugging a pair of headphones into a treadmill and running some simulated hills. Others need to actually run up and down those hills.
Count me in the latter group. When I was in grad school, my exercise of choice was running, usually a minimum of five miles during the week, and eight to ten on either Saturday or Sunday. Even in rainy western Washington state, I managed to get in 100 miles per month for the two years I spent in grad school. Just my opinion, but running on a treadmill seems boring...

Another option is to do your schoolwork using a 10-pound pencil, and switching hands periodically. :oldbiggrin:

Likes jamalkoiyess
Mark44 said:
Another option is to do your schoolwork using a 10-pound pencil, and switching hands periodically. :oldbiggrin:

Not a bad idea. :)

My bet is it will make your writing unintelligible.

1. What are the benefits of exercising for studying?

Exercising has numerous benefits for studying, including increased focus and concentration, improved memory and cognitive function, reduced stress and anxiety, and better overall brain health. Regular exercise also helps to improve mood and energy levels, which can have a positive impact on studying and academic performance.

2. How often should I exercise to see the benefits for studying?

The frequency of exercise needed to see benefits for studying can vary from person to person. However, most experts recommend at least 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise, 3-5 times a week. It's important to find a routine that works for you and to stick with it consistently for best results.

3. What types of exercises are best for studying?

Any type of exercise that gets your heart rate up and increases blood flow to the brain can be beneficial for studying. This can include activities such as running, cycling, swimming, or even brisk walking. Strength training and aerobic exercises have also been shown to have positive effects on studying and brain function.

4. When is the best time to exercise for studying?

The best time to exercise for studying can vary depending on individual preferences and schedules. Some people may find that exercising in the morning helps them to start their day with a clear and focused mind, while others may prefer to exercise in the evening to relieve stress and improve sleep. Ultimately, the best time to exercise is whenever you can fit it into your routine consistently.

5. Are there any specific tips for incorporating exercise into my studying routine?

One tip for incorporating exercise into your studying routine is to schedule it in advance and treat it as a non-negotiable part of your day. This can help you to prioritize and make time for physical activity. Additionally, finding an exercise that you enjoy and can stick with long-term can make it easier to incorporate into your routine. You can also try combining exercise with studying, such as listening to educational podcasts or audiobooks while going for a run or studying while on a stationary bike.