Understanding the Relationship between Exergy and Gibbs Free Energy

In summary: Still a little confused. When you say "may not allow all available energy to be extracted", I think of "all energy available according to the 2nd law. So, if the energy is available according to the 2nd law, why wouldn't you be able to extract it as you bring the system to equilibrium? Can you think of an example that might be helpful?...For example, let's say you have a system in equilibrium and you want to increase the temperature. The system will not allow all of the available energy to be extracted, even though the temperature has been increased. This is because the system is not at equilibrium and has not reached its maximum possible temperature.
oldsloguy
Are the concepts of exergy and Gibbs Free Energy related? What are the differences between them? Thanks in advance for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
oldsloguy said:
Are the concepts of exergy and Gibbs Free Energy related? What are the differences between them? Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm also posting this question in the physics forum to see if anyone there can help.

Eh, sort of. The Gibbs free energy is the amount of available work for an isothermal and isobaric process. Exergy is more of a measurement of total available work until a system reaches equilibrium with its surroundings. You can't replace one with the other, but they are similar in concept.

I believe, hopefully someone else can verify this, that GFR [tex]\geq[/tex] Exergy of a system for an isothermal and isobaric process or system.

Exergy and Gibbs Free Energy

I should also have stated that the amount of exergy a system has is not dependent on whether or not its an isothermal or isobaric process. It could be any type of process and it will still have the same amount of exergy regardless. The same can not be said for the Gibbs free energy.

Topher925 said:
Eh, sort of. The Gibbs free energy is the amount of available work for an isothermal and isobaric process. Exergy is more of a measurement of total available work until a system reaches equilibrium with its surroundings. You can't replace one with the other, but they are similar in concept.

I believe, hopefully someone else can verify this, that GFR [tex]\geq[/tex] Exergy of a system for an isothermal and isobaric process or system.

That sounds about right to me. Exergy is generally the total amount of useful work that can be obtained from a thermodynamic system, whereas Gibbs and Helmholtz are for specific processes.

CS

oldsloguy said:
I'm also posting this question in the physics forum to see if anyone there can help.

Don't double post. If in doubt PM a Mentor and they will help you decide where to put it (or move it).

CS

Andy Resnick said:
"Exergy" is another word for "Gibbs Free Energy", AFAIK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exergy

Not exactly, Exergy is more of a general term used to describe the useable amount of work that can be extracted from a thermodynamic system whereas Gibbs is for a specific process (i.e. constant temperature and pressure). They are related though - conceptually.

CS

stewartcs said:
Don't double post. If in doubt PM a Mentor and they will help you decide where to put it (or move it).

CS
OOP, sorry. My thinking was that some people might not look at all of the different forums. BTW what is a "PM" and how do I do it?

oldsloguy said:
OOP, sorry. My thinking was that some people might not look at all of the different forums. BTW what is a "PM" and how do I do it?

Private Message. Click on the name of a Mentor (or any user) and you will have an option to send a PM.

CS

Thanks for the responses. So would it be fair to say that the Gibbs Free Energy would be a specific case of the more general Exergy. That is that for isothermal and isobaric processes the GFE and Exergy would be equal and computed in the same manner?

oldsloguy said:
Thanks for the responses. So would it be fair to say that the Gibbs Free Energy would be a specific case of the more general Exergy. That is that for isothermal and isobaric processes the GFE and Exergy would be equal and computed in the same manner?

I would have to say no. Exergy is dependent of the systems surroundings while the GFE is independent of the systems surroundings. You can have a system that is isothermal and isobaric where GFE = Exergy but your assuming the conditions are such that all available work can be extracted when the system reaches equilibrium. This isn't always the case as for a systems equilibrium may not allow all available energy to be extracted, which can be determined by the GFE, still assuming an isobaric and isothermal process of course.

Topher925 said:
a systems equilibrium may not allow all available energy to be extracted, which can be determined by the GFE, still assuming an isobaric and isothermal process of course.

Still a little confused. When you say "may not allow all available energy to be extracted", I think of "all energy available according to the 2nd law. So, if the energy is available according to the 2nd law, why wouldn't you be able to extract it as you bring the system to equilibrium? Can you think of an example that might be helpful? Thanks again!

1. What is the difference between exergy and Gibbs free energy?

Exergy is a measure of the maximum amount of work that can be extracted from a system while it comes to equilibrium with its surroundings. Gibbs free energy, on the other hand, is a measure of the maximum amount of work that can be extracted from a system while it is kept at constant temperature and pressure. In other words, exergy takes into account the non-equilibrium state of a system, while Gibbs free energy only considers the equilibrium state.

2. How is exergy related to entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. Exergy, on the other hand, is a measure of the useful energy that can be extracted from a system. These two concepts are related in that the higher the entropy of a system, the lower its exergy will be. This is because as a system becomes more disordered, it becomes less useful for performing work.

3. Can exergy be negative?

Yes, exergy can be negative. This occurs when the exergy of a system decreases as it comes to equilibrium with its surroundings. This is often the case in real-world systems, where there is always some amount of energy loss due to irreversibilities.

4. How is Gibbs free energy used in thermodynamics?

Gibbs free energy is used as a thermodynamic potential that determines the direction in which a chemical or physical process will occur. In a closed system at constant temperature and pressure, a decrease in Gibbs free energy indicates that the process is thermodynamically favored and will occur spontaneously.

5. How is exergy used in engineering?

Exergy is often used in engineering to evaluate the efficiency and sustainability of energy systems. By considering the exergy of a system, engineers can identify areas where energy losses occur and work to improve the overall efficiency of the system. Exergy analysis is also used in the design of more sustainable and environmentally friendly processes and systems.