Exhibit a bijection between N and the set of all odd integers greater than 13

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a bijection between the set of natural numbers and the set of odd integers greater than 13. The student presents their solution using an injection proof, but is advised to also show the surjective proof by demonstrating that for each odd integer y, there exists a natural number x in the domain. It is suggested to define the function f(x) = 2x + 13 and show that it maps all y in the codomain to natural numbers in the domain.
phillyolly

Homework Statement

Exhibit a bijection between N and the set of all odd integers greater than 13

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't have a template for the problem solving. Please check if I did it in the right way? (The way and order a professor will like to see.)

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1,280
Physics news on Phys.org
Almost...your injection proof is fine. But, when proving a mapping is surjective, we need to show that the domain maps all of the range, i.e., show that for each y, there's an x such that f(x) = y.

You wrote "for y E N," but that's not true. y E B = set of all odd integers greater than 13, not all natural numbers.

So, basically, what you have to do in the surjective proof here is show that if y is an odd integers greater than 13, then x must be a natural number and thus exist in our domain.

Should I do this in math induction?

hmm, I am not sure if I'm right. but when you define a function [tex]f(x)=2x+13[/tex] don't say [tex]for \ all \ x \in N [/tex] yet, because that is what you suppose to show.

so just define this function [tex]f(x)=2x+13[/tex]

like Raskolnikov suggested. any y in the codomain has the form of 2q+13, where q are natural number

so, like you did, we solve for [tex]y=2x+13 \Rightarrow 2q+13=2x+13[/tex], so you want to show that x is natural number ie: x is the set of the domain

1. How can you exhibit a bijection between N and the set of all odd integers greater than 13?

A bijection is a one-to-one correspondence between two sets. In order to exhibit a bijection between N (the set of all natural numbers) and the set of all odd integers greater than 13, we can use the function f(n) = 2n + 13. This function maps each natural number to a unique odd integer greater than 13, and vice versa.

2. Why is it important to exhibit a bijection between two sets?

Exhibiting a bijection between two sets proves that the two sets have the same cardinality, or number of elements. This is important in mathematics because it allows us to compare and analyze different sets and their properties.

3. Can you give an example of a bijection between two infinite sets?

Yes, the function f(x) = 2x maps every natural number to a unique even number, and vice versa. This demonstrates a bijection between the set of all natural numbers and the set of all even numbers.

4. How does the bijection between N and the set of all odd integers greater than 13 work?

The bijection works by taking each natural number and multiplying it by 2, then adding 13. This results in a unique odd integer greater than 13 for each natural number. Conversely, if we take any odd integer greater than 13, we can divide it by 2 and subtract 13 to find its corresponding natural number.

5. Is it possible to exhibit a bijection between N and the set of all odd integers?

No, it is not possible to exhibit a bijection between N and the set of all odd integers. This is because the set of all odd integers is a proper subset of N, meaning that it has fewer elements. A bijection can only be established between two sets with the same number of elements.