Expansion around a classical vacuum

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around the notions of "expanding the theory around a classical vacuum" and "considering small fluctuations around a classical vacuum" in QFT textbooks. It is mentioned that in the path integral, one integrates over all field configurations, not just those close to the vacuum. However, the term "small fluctuations" refers to the physical value of the field, not the actual integration. The conversation also touches on the challenges of computing these integrals and the use of perturbation theory.
GargleBlast42
Hi everyone,

I have a severe confusion about the notions of "expanding the theory around a classical vacuum" and "considering small fluctuations around a classical vacuum" which I find in QFT textbooks.

My problem is: in the path integral [tex]\int D\phi e^{i S[\phi]}[/tex] one doesn't integrate only over field configurations close to the vacuum, but over all field configurations. And when one is considering a perturbative expansion, this expansion is in the coupling constant (like [tex]\lambda[/tex] in [tex]\phi^4 [/tex] theory), but one doesn't assume [tex]\phi[/tex] to be small, or am I wrong?

So the questions would be: Why does one require the field configurations to be small fluctuations around a classical vacuum? And what would happen if I was expanding the theory about a field configuration that is not a classical vacuum (except that the mass could be possibly negative)? The first question is more important for me.

I would be very grateful for any clarification.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry for bumping this, but I would be really happy about any input.

You are right that one integrates over all values of fields, not only the small ones. The assertion that field is small means something else. It refers to a physical value of field, such as the boundary value appearing in the definition of the path integral. In particular, if you calculate the vacuum-to-vacuum transition, then the boundary values of the field are zero, which, of course, are small.

Last edited:
Do you have any idea how to actually compute these integrals? If not, I'm afraid that the answer won't make sense --- the entire apparatus is rather formal, which is to say, it is a series of methods to circumvent the problem that evaluating these integrals exactly is impossible.

There is a strong analogy with evaluating an ordinary integral of this type by the method of stationary phase. One first finds the point(s) of stationary phase, and then approximates the integral as a gaussian (which equates to treating the fluctuations as "small" in some formal sense) around each such point. Corrections to the gaussian correspond to doing perturbation theory in QFT.

Related to Expansion around a classical vacuum

1. What is a classical vacuum?

A classical vacuum is a state of space where there is no matter or energy present. It is often described as the lowest possible energy state of a system.

2. How does expansion around a classical vacuum occur?

Expansion around a classical vacuum occurs due to the energy of empty space, also known as vacuum energy. This energy causes space to expand, leading to the expansion of the universe.

3. What is the significance of expansion around a classical vacuum?

The expansion around a classical vacuum is significant because it is believed to be the driving force behind the expansion of the universe. It also plays a crucial role in theories such as inflation and the accelerating expansion of the universe.

4. What are some potential consequences of expansion around a classical vacuum?

Some potential consequences of expansion around a classical vacuum include the eventual heat death of the universe, the continued expansion and cooling of the universe, and the formation of new structures such as galaxies and galaxy clusters.

5. How is expansion around a classical vacuum related to dark energy?

Expansion around a classical vacuum is closely related to dark energy, which is the mysterious force that is thought to be driving the accelerating expansion of the universe. It is believed that dark energy is the manifestation of vacuum energy in the universe.