1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation Values of Spin Operators

1. Dec 3, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Expectation Values of Spin Operators

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    b) Find the expectation values of [tex]S_{x}, S_{y}, and S_{z}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    From part a)
    [tex]X = A \begin{pmatrix}3i \\ 4 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Which was found to be: [tex]A = \frac{1}{5}[/tex]

[tex]S_{x} = \begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]S_{y} = \begin{pmatrix}0 & -i \\ i & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]S_{z} = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have it setup as:

[tex]\left\langle S_{x}\right\rangle = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}X^{*}S_{x}X \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}X^{*} \frac{\hbar}{2} \begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}\frac{3i}{5} \\ \frac{4}{5} \end{pmatrix}\Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}\frac{-3i}{5} \\ \frac{4}{5} \end{pmatrix} \frac{\hbar}{2} \begin{pmatrix}\frac{3i}{5} \\ \frac{4}{5} \end{pmatrix} \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{\hbar^{2}}{4}\left[\frac{-12i}{25} + \frac{12i}{25} \right] \Rightarrow 0[/tex]

[tex]\left\langle S_{y}\right\rangle = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}X^{*}S_{y}X \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}X^{*} \frac{\hbar}{2} \begin{pmatrix}0 & -i \\ i & 0 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}\frac{3i}{5} \\ \frac{4}{5} \end{pmatrix}\Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{\hbar}{2} \begin{pmatrix}\frac{-3i}{5} \\ \frac{4}{5} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}\frac{4i}{5} \\ \frac{-3}{5} \end{pmatrix} \frac{\hbar}{2} \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{\hbar^{2}}{4}\left[\frac{12i}{25} - \frac{12i}{25} \right] \Rightarrow 0[/tex]

[tex]\left\langle S_{z}\right\rangle = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}X^{*}S_{z}X \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}X^{*} \frac{\hbar}{2} \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}\frac{3i}{5} \\ \frac{4}{5} \end{pmatrix}\Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{\hbar}{2} \begin{pmatrix}\frac{-3i}{5} \\ \frac{4}{5} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}\frac{3i}{5} \\ \frac{-4}{5} \end{pmatrix} \frac{\hbar}{2} \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{\hbar^{2}}{4}\left[\frac{9}{25} - \frac{16}{25} \right] \Rightarrow \frac{-7\hbar^{2}}{100}[/tex]

The first two seem like they're fine; but the last one doesn't seem right. Now if it was:

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{\hbar^{2}}{4}\left[\frac{9}{25} + \frac{16}{25} \right] \Rightarrow \frac{\hbar^{2}}{4}[/tex]

Then that would at least seem to be in the right direction. So what am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where do you get your second factor of [itex]\hbar /2[/itex] from? Also, you need to throw away the integrals and write the bra as a row vector (not a column vector).

4. Dec 3, 2007 #3
    Oh, you're right, it's just [tex]S_{x}[/tex], not [tex]S_{x}^{2}[/tex]. Thanks. And I'll change the vectors (on my homework); but is the rest correct then?

5. Dec 4, 2007 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, but there are no integrals involved when you use matrices.

6. Dec 12, 2010 #5
    Re: [SOLVED] Expectation Values of Spin Operators

how is the wave function defined?
    also don't confuse with matrices and integrals

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?