Expected time of arrival with uncertainty

In summary, the conversation discusses a research problem involving calculating the expected time of arrival for a vehicle moving towards a given location with uncertainty in location and velocity. The uncertainty is represented by co-variance matrices and can be calculated using the Gaussian distribution. The individual is seeking resources to aid in solving this problem.
username27
Hi,
This is actually related to my research work. Let say a location (x1,y1) is given with uncertainty in location is given by co-variance matrix P1. A vehicle is moving towards (x1,y1) from a location (x2,y2) with velocity (x2dot, y2dot). The uncertainty of the vehicle location is given by co-variance matrix P2 and uncertainty of the vehicle velocity is given by co-variance matrix P3. How can I calculate the expected time of arrival for the vehicle for this scenario?

The uncertainty is given by Gaussian distribution. For e.g., location based covariance will be in the following form P = [ σ(xx) σ(xy); σ(yx) σ(yy)]

I am pretty sure, there are no closed answers for this. What I want is what kind of research papers or books I have to read to get the idea for this problem? I could not able to find anything for the above problem until now.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks DaleSpam. I will take a look and come back.

1. What is expected time of arrival with uncertainty?

Expected time of arrival with uncertainty is a statistical measure used to estimate the average time that a specific event will occur, while taking into account the potential variation or uncertainty in the arrival time.

2. How is expected time of arrival with uncertainty calculated?

The expected time of arrival with uncertainty is calculated by taking the sum of all possible arrival times, weighted by their respective probabilities. This calculation takes into account the uncertainty or variability in the arrival time.

3. Why is expected time of arrival with uncertainty important?

Expected time of arrival with uncertainty allows us to make more accurate predictions or decisions by considering the potential variation in arrival time. It also helps to mitigate risks and plan for unexpected delays.

4. How does the uncertainty in arrival time affect the expected time of arrival with uncertainty?

The greater the uncertainty in arrival time, the wider the range of possible arrival times and the larger the expected time of arrival with uncertainty will be. This is because the variability increases the potential for longer or shorter arrival times.

5. In what situations is expected time of arrival with uncertainty commonly used?

Expected time of arrival with uncertainty is commonly used in fields such as transportation, logistics, and project management, where accurate predictions of arrival times are crucial for planning and decision making. It is also used in scientific research to estimate the time of arrival of events, such as the arrival of a comet or the occurrence of a natural disaster.