1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected time of arrival with uncertainty

1. May 29, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    This is actually related to my research work. Let say a location (x1,y1) is given with uncertainty in location is given by co-variance matrix P1. A vehicle is moving towards (x1,y1) from a location (x2,y2) with velocity (x2dot, y2dot). The uncertainty of the vehicle location is given by co-variance matrix P2 and uncertainty of the vehicle velocity is given by co-variance matrix P3. How can I calculate the expected time of arrival for the vehicle for this scenario?

The uncertainty is given by Gaussian distribution. For e.g., location based covariance will be in the following form P = [ σ(xx) σ(xy); σ(yx) σ(yy)]

I am pretty sure, there are no closed answers for this. What I want is what kind of research papers or books I have to read to get the idea for this problem? I could not able to find anything for the above problem until now.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2012 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

4. May 30, 2012 #3
    Thanks DaleSpam. I will take a look and come back.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook