Do two hockey pucks on a frictionless plane collide and when?

In summary, the question asks whether two hockey pucks of different radii on a frictionless plane will collide, and if so, how long it will take for them to collide. The solution involves determining the distance between the pucks' centers as a function of time using kinematic equations, and then using the formula for finding the distance between two lines to determine if they collide. Alternatively, a computer program can be used to simulate the movement of the pucks and calculate the distance between their centers.
itskiddly
This is not for an assignment as much as my own edification, but as it is a homework-style question, I thought this would be the best place. If not, I apologize.

Homework Statement

Given two hockey pucks of radius R1 and R2 on a frictionless, infinite level plane, located at (X1,Y1) and (X2,Y2) and moving at constant velocities (Vx1,Vy1) and (Vx1,Vy1) respectively:

1) Determine whether or not the two pucks will ever collide.
2) How long in seconds until they collide?

Homework Equations

D = ([X1-X2]2+[Y1-Y2]2)
dX = Vx*dt
dY = Vy*dt

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems obvious to start at figuring out if they are currently colliding, which is if the distance between them is less than their combined radii: D = ([X1-X2]2+[Y1-Y2]2) < (R1 + R2)

So I need to figure out how the position and velocity can be fit into this. I know the kinematic equations for position with respect to velocity and time are dX = Vx*dt and dY = Vy*dt, but I can't seem to figure out where to go next. It seems like it should be simple.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Come up with the equations for the pucks centers as a function of time. These functions define two straight lines in 2D spacetime. Now Google "distance between two lines" for formulas that determine the distance between two lines. If the minimum distance is less then r_1 + r_2 then they collide?

Or just let them move small steps in time and calculate the distance between centers. A short computer program could do this.

1. What is 2D kinematic motion collision?

2D kinematic motion collision is a type of collision in which two objects collide in a two-dimensional space. This means that the objects are moving in different directions on a flat plane and collide with each other.

2. What factors affect the outcome of a 2D kinematic motion collision?

The outcome of a 2D kinematic motion collision is affected by factors such as the mass, velocity, and direction of the objects involved, as well as the angle at which they collide.

3. How is momentum conserved in a 2D kinematic motion collision?

In a 2D kinematic motion collision, momentum is conserved according to the law of conservation of momentum. This means that the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

4. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions in 2D kinematic motion?

In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved. Inelastic collisions result in a loss of kinetic energy due to deformation or other forms of energy transfer.

5. How is the trajectory of objects after a 2D kinematic motion collision determined?

The trajectory of objects after a 2D kinematic motion collision can be determined by using equations and principles of physics, such as conservation of momentum and Newton's laws of motion. Factors such as the objects' masses, velocities, and angles of collision all play a role in determining their trajectories.