Newtonian Physics Lab- Uncertainty and Angular Momentum

In summary, the student is trying to figure out how to calculate uncertainty in readings from a movie recording program and ImageJ. They are having difficulty figuring out how to do so and would like to know if anyone else has a different approach.
ultrapowerpie
Before I begin, let me say this is my first time on this forum, and am terribly sorry if I screw something up here. Let me also say that my physics lab is ahead of my physics class, so my knowledge on angular momentum is lacking.

Also, this lab is due tomorrow. I know it's short notice, but I had assumed that the TA would have responded by now, and had only just thought of asking here.

Homework Statement

The purpose of the lab is to essentially prove that angular momentum is conserved. I am not quite aware of all the mechanics, but it does concern Kepler's Second law that if the area of an object oribiting an object is the same over two time intervals, then the two intervals must equal each other.

In the lab, we have a air hockey disc on a mini air hocky table orbiting a peg. Using a movie recording program and ImageJ, I am able to determine the position of the center peg and the position of the puck's center of mass in each frame. The actual data is accurate enough, and I understand that. The area the puck is traveld is measured by a triangle, who's points are known.

What I don't understand, is how to calculate the uncertainty for this lab. I am very well aware that the partial derivative of the formula is needed to find uncertainty, but the problem is this- I have no idea what the actual standard deviation of the data is. Without this standard deviation, the method I know for determining uncertainty. Please see my "attmpts for solutions" as to what I have done to rectify the matter.

Homework Equations

The only equations given are the ones that follow (please pardon the lack of professional formulas, as I do not know this forum's code for said forumlas):

s= (a+b+c)/2

Area=[s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)]^(1/2)

a= Sqrt((X1-X2)^2 + (Y1-Y2)^2)

b= Sqrt((X1-Xcenter)^2 + (Y1-Ycenter)^2)

c= Sqrt((X2-Xcenter)^2 + (Y2-Ycenter)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

As stated earlier, I have no idea how to find uncertainty here. I have emailed the TA and all my class mates, and they seem to be in the same boat as me, or haven't responded, and the TA has of yet to respond (yes, I have emailed her several times).

The lab manual itself is very vauge on the matter. It merely says to "guess the area" uncertainty, and then explain how I got the uncertainty in my lab report (summed up version).

I thank y'all for helping me in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Using a movie recording program and ImageJ, I am able to determine the position of the center peg and the position of the puck's center of mass in each frame.
Wouldn't there be uncertainty in these readings since you are looking from one image to another?

Welcome to PF

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Problem is, this was a new program, and the way the book showed us how to use it, all I got were the "average" values. And sadly the program is only avaliable at my college, which is a good hour commute there and whatnot, and even then I'd have to go into the lab classroom, which has a stupid timer lock that only unlocks when a class is going to start. >.>

So, yes, there would be uncertainty. Problem is, I have no idea how to calculate it, nor do I have access to the images due to the above reasons.

And thanks, I've used the search feature here a few times for problems, but my first time posting here. :D

If you were using a scale with division marks, I would use 1/2 a division as my uncertainty for each reading. i.e. since the eye can usually only resolve half a division. At least that's what I was taught.

I guess that's as good as I can get it. >.>

Thanks for your help, would like to know if anyone else has another approach.

1. What is the purpose of a Newtonian Physics Lab?

The purpose of a Newtonian Physics Lab is to demonstrate fundamental principles of classical mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion, through hands-on experiments and measurements.

2. What is uncertainty in physics?

Uncertainty in physics refers to the inherent limitations in our ability to measure and predict the exact values of physical quantities due to various factors, such as experimental errors, limitations of measuring instruments, and the inherent unpredictability of quantum mechanics.

3. How is uncertainty calculated in a Newtonian Physics Lab?

Uncertainty is calculated by taking into account the precision and accuracy of the measuring instruments used, as well as the errors introduced during the experiment. It is typically expressed as a range of values within which the true value of a physical quantity is expected to fall.

4. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. In simpler terms, it represents the tendency of an object to continue rotating at a constant rate.

5. How is angular momentum conserved in a Newtonian Physics Lab?

In a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant, meaning that it is conserved. This means that any changes in the angular momentum of one object must be balanced by equal and opposite changes in the angular momentum of another object within the system.