Expected value of a variable and its reciprocal

In summary, one can find examples where E(X)>E(Y) and E(1/X)>E(1/Y) for positive random variables, even when Var(X)<Var(Y). This can be achieved by manipulating the weights in the distribution of the variables.
jeremy22511
TL;DR Summary
If E(X1)>E(X2), does it mean that E(1/X1)<E(1/X2)? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Try constant random variables.

Likes FactChecker
No: Example two values X1=0 or 10. X2=1 or 3 (equal prob. for both).

E(X1)=5 and E(X2)=2. E(1/X1) is infinite, E(1/X2)=2/3.

mathman said:

Thanks! What about the case with positive random variables? I probably should have given some context with my question. I was trying to make sense of using the two-tailed region in hypothesis testing by showing that it minimizes the expected value of P(H0 | z-score in critical region). But this value depends on the expected value of the reciprocal of statistical power, which I can show to be maximized by the region. So I was trying to understand whether a higher E(beta) would translate to a lower E(1/beta).

jeremy22511 said:
Summary:: If E(X1)>E(X2), does it mean that E(1/X1)<E(1/X2)? Thanks!

Why don't you try some simple examples to see what happens? There seem to a lot of students who are unfamiliar with the concept of looking for a simple counterexample.

Likes member 587159
mathman said:

##1/X_1## makes absolutely no sense.

Instead of 0, try some arbitrarily small positive number.

jeremy22511 said:
What about the case with positive random variables?
Try fixing Y as 1 and letting X take two values, equally likely, with a mean slightly greater than 1.

In general, if ##X## takes two values ##a, b## with equal probability, then ##E(\frac 1 X) = \frac 1 {E(X)}## only when ##a = b##:
$$E(\frac 1 X) = \frac 1 2 (\frac 1 a + \frac 1 b) = \frac 1 {ab}(\frac{a + b}{2}) = \frac 1 {ab} E(X)$$
$$E(\frac 1 X) = \frac 1 {E(X)} \ \Rightarrow \ E(X)^2 = ab \ \Rightarrow \ (a+b)^2 = 4ab \ \Rightarrow \ (a-b)^2 = 0$$

Look at a uniform dist X on (0.01,0.99). E(X) =0.5 and Y a uniform on (0.35,0.45) so E(Y)=0.4

so E(X)>E(Y), but also E(1/X)>E(1/Y) as E(1/Y) =2.5 and E(1/X)=4.7

Last edited:
PeroK said:
In general, if ##X## takes two values ##a, b## with equal probability, then ##E(\frac 1 X) = \frac 1 {E(X)}## only when ##a = b##:
$$E(\frac 1 X) = \frac 1 2 (\frac 1 a + \frac 1 b) = \frac 1 {ab}(\frac{a + b}{2}) = \frac 1 {ab} E(X)$$
$$E(\frac 1 X) = \frac 1 {E(X)} \ \Rightarrow \ E(X)^2 = ab \ \Rightarrow \ (a+b)^2 = 4ab \ \Rightarrow \ (a-b)^2 = 0$$
If that's in reply to post #8, I was not suggesting 1/E(X)=E(1/X). The idea is to find a pair of values for X such that E(X)>1 =E(Y) and E(1/X)>1=E(1/Y).
@BWV seems to have come up with a closely related example.

haruspex said:
If that's in reply to post #8, I was not suggesting 1/E(X)=E(1/X). The idea is to find a pair of values for X such that E(X)>1 =E(Y) and E(1/X)>1=E(1/Y).
@BWV seems to have come up with a closely related example.
It was just a general post to show that one doesn't have to be clever to find an example. The result the OP was looking for can only be true in a special case.

PeroK said:
It was just a general post to show that one doesn't have to be clever to find an example. The result the OP was looking for can only be true in a special case.
Hmm... ok, but I don't see how your post shows that. How does it give an example of E(X)>E(Y) while E(1/X)>E(1/Y)?

haruspex said:
Hmm... ok, but I don't see how your post shows that. How does it give an example of E(X)>E(Y) while E(1/X)>E(1/Y)?
I forgot that bit!

To make amends for post #9. If we let ##a > 1## and consider ##X## equally likely to be ##a## or ##\frac 1 a##, then:
$$E(X) = E(\frac 1 X) = \frac 1 2 (a + \frac 1 a)$$
Hence, as ##a## increases both ##E(X)## and ##E(\frac 1 X)## increase.

More challenging to find an example where E(X)>E(Y) and E(1/X) >E(1/Y)
where Var(X) < Var(Y).

BWV said:
More challenging to find an example where E(X)>E(Y) and E(1/X) >E(1/Y)
where Var(X) < Var(Y).
Not really hard. Let X== 1 and Y be uniform on [-2,-1].

FactChecker said:
Not really hard. Let X== 1 and Y be uniform on [-2,-1].
I think it was sort of agreed earlier in the thread that X and Y should be taken as always nonnegative.

haruspex said:
I think it was sort of agreed earlier in the thread that X and Y should be taken as always nonnegative.
In that case, I suspect it is impossible. I am not sure how to prove it.

actually for positive numbers, just need one number close to zero with a small weight in the distribution
for example:
X=[10^-20,1000:2000]
Y=1:1999

E(X)=1499 >E(Y)=1000
Var(X)=8.6*10^4<Var(Y)=3.3*10^5

E(X^-1)=10^16>E(Y^-1)<1

Likes FactChecker

1. What is the expected value of a variable?

The expected value of a variable is the sum of all possible outcomes of that variable multiplied by their respective probabilities. It represents the average value that can be expected from a random experiment or event.

2. How is the expected value of a variable calculated?

The expected value of a variable is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome of the variable by its probability, and then summing up all these values. This can be represented by the formula E(X) = ∑xP(x), where E(X) is the expected value, x is a possible outcome, and P(x) is the probability of that outcome.

3. What is the significance of the expected value of a variable?

The expected value of a variable is an important concept in probability and statistics as it helps in predicting the average outcome of a random experiment. It also serves as a measure of central tendency, providing a single value that summarizes the entire distribution of possible outcomes.

4. What is the expected value of the reciprocal of a variable?

The expected value of the reciprocal of a variable is the sum of all possible reciprocals of that variable multiplied by their respective probabilities. This concept is useful in situations where the inverse relationship of a variable is of interest, such as in finance or economics.

5. Can the expected value of a variable be negative?

Yes, the expected value of a variable can be negative if the possible outcomes of the variable have negative values and their corresponding probabilities are high enough. However, it is also possible for the expected value to be negative even if all outcomes are positive if the probabilities are not appropriately balanced.