Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Experiment about Discharging Batteries

1. Feb 22, 2013 #1
    Right now I'm doing an experiment for my EE about battery capacity. How would I be able to monitor the battery's true emf while discharging the battery at a constant current?

Also, when I connect the battery in a circuit and discharge it at a constant current, I notice that the voltage across the battery decreases. Since I am discharging at a constant current, will this difference in voltage from when its in a circuit and the true emf be constant?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Connect a voltmeter?
    Right.
    Which difference? The measured voltage IS the true voltage the battery delivers at that current.

4. Feb 22, 2013 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Also see:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=670059
    OP feels that the "true" emf of the battery is the open-terminal voltage.
    He wants to keep track of it for the discharge curve... most people seem happy just to use the terminal voltage on-load.

5. Feb 22, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Hmm, well, can you interrupt the discharging process for the measurements?

6. Feb 22, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's what I thought - but doesn't the open circuit voltage for a battery take a bit to "relax" after the load is disconnected, like a hysteresis effect ... possibly altering the discharge curve? It would depend on the battery of course...

I also thought that the early measurements could be used to work out the internal resistance and, after that, the open-circuit voltage would just get calculated.
    However, the internal resistance may change during discharge - it would certainly be affected by temperature.

If the load resistor was very large compared with the internal resistance, then the loaded voltage would be close to the open-circuit...

7. Feb 22, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

I would be surprised to see any effect on the scale of a human intervention (~1s), but that would be easy to test.

8. Feb 22, 2013 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was thinking that repeatedly switching the circuit may be different enough from a continuous discharge, over the entire discharge time, to affect the shape of the curve - but like you say: easy to test.

We don't know how accurate things are either... any effect could be small compared with the sensitivity of the instruments - especially seeing the battery in question is quite high tech.

9. Feb 22, 2013 #8

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

@ johnsmith

That would be interesting to test. I never tried it with an exotic battery.
    Published curves are with battery under load.

Tinkering with automobile batteries, indeed there is a time delay when you release the load. Voltage bounces back to 12.6 in about a minute.

I've seen car batteries that'd indicate 12.6 volts but were too run down to illuminate even the dome lamp.

So i think you should take your data with battery loaded.

Then experiment with the voltage 'bounce' when unloaded from various states of discharge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook