Experimental preparation for IPHO?

In summary, to prepare for the physics Olympiad competition, it is important to review theoretical physics knowledge, practice experiments, and seek out resources such as instructional videos, websites, and books to improve your experimental skills. By doing so, you will increase your chances of success and avoid being disqualified due to low scores in the experimental portion.
Musti XV
Hello everyone
I am a student in the high school and I join the physics Olympiad's team.
I am actually good in theoretical physics but on the other hand I can't do any experiment because I'm very bad in the experimental area. I don't know what I have to do and how, in the first round to choose who will go to the state competition, I was the best in my school because I got almost all the theoretical points but I got also 0 in the experiment and i got again 0 in the experimental task in the state competition.

can anyone give me some advice or maybe if there are resources, manuals or books that describe the steps of a list of experiments or something like that ?

I am preparing my self for the competition next year and I don't want to be kicked out of the state competition again.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a few things you can do to prepare for the upcoming physics Olympiad competition. First, it is important to brush up on your theoretical physics knowledge. Make sure to review all the topics that you may be tested on in the competition. It would also be beneficial to read through some sample problems and practice solving them. Second, it is important to practice experiments. You can do this by finding experiments related to topics you have studied and following step-by-step instructions. You can also find online resources such as instructional videos or websites that explain how to do certain experiments. Additionally, you can look for tutorials or books that provide detailed instructions on specific experiments. Finally, you can also look up past Olympiad experiments and practice them. By practicing these experiments, you will be able to gain a better understanding of how experiments are conducted and become more familiar with the process and the necessary materials. Additionally, it will help you become more confident when it comes to performing experiments during the competition.

1. What is the purpose of experimental preparation for IPHO?

The purpose of experimental preparation for IPHO (International Physics Olympiad) is to familiarize students with the experimental techniques and procedures that will be used in the IPHO competition. It also allows students to practice and refine their skills in data analysis, interpretation, and problem-solving.

2. How can I prepare for the experimental portion of IPHO?

To prepare for the experimental portion of IPHO, it is recommended to practice performing experiments in a laboratory setting and familiarize yourself with common lab equipment and techniques. You can also review past IPHO exams to get an idea of the types of experiments that may be included.

3. What types of experiments can I expect in the IPHO competition?

The experiments in IPHO are typically based on topics covered in high school physics courses, such as mechanics, optics, thermodynamics, and electricity. They may involve using equipment such as sensors, meters, and electronic circuits to collect and analyze data.

4. Is there a specific format for presenting experimental results in IPHO?

Yes, there is a specific format for presenting experimental results in IPHO. It is important to clearly state the purpose of the experiment, the procedure followed, and the data collected. Graphs and tables should be included to present the data, and any calculations or analysis should be clearly explained.

5. Can I use a calculator during the experimental portion of IPHO?

Yes, a calculator is allowed during the experimental portion of IPHO. However, it is important to note that only non-programmable calculators are allowed, and they must not have any stored data or equations. It is recommended to bring a scientific calculator with basic functions.