Explain how do we get standard error.

In summary, standard error is used to estimate how well a sample deviates from the population. It is calculated by dividing the standard deviation by the square root of the sample size. The standard error is used to estimate the standard deviation of the mean, and is defined as the square root of the expected variance of the calculated statistic. The variance of a set of numbers is the mean square difference from the mean, and can also be written in terms of expectations of a random variable.
Outrageous

Homework Statement

I know that standard error is to calculate how the sample deviate from the population.
But standard deviation divide √n ,then will get it.
And I don't understand why there is a T/n from the picture I uploaded. Please help

Homework Equations

Standard error x sqrt(n) = Standard deviation

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• standard error.PNG
    standard error.PNG
    18.3 KB · Views: 540
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure whether you understand that the "variance of T" is not the variance of a single sample of n; it's the variance of a random variable T each value of which is defined to be the sum of n independent trials of X.
I'm also unsure what you mean by standard error here. Standard error is usually used in reference to some statistic, such as an estimate of the mean. Your attachment doesn't mention standard error.
I assume that T/n is of interest because it could be used for estimates of the mean of X. The standard deviation of the r.v. T/n would then be the standard error of the mean so estimated.

Not really understand.
Can you please teach me this first:
A sample of 5 students from 50 students.
The score of 5 students for math are recorded.
Mean of 5 students is 62.
sample σ from 5 students =27.44
The standard deviation of 50 students is 17.
Standard error = 17/√5.

What is the standard error here used for ?
This represents how well this sample deviate from the population?

So if I can get the mean of 50 students ,x
Then x-62 will be standard error?
Please guide . Thank you

Outrageous said:
Not really understand.
Can you please teach me this first:
A sample of 5 students from 50 students.
The score of 5 students for math are recorded.
Mean of 5 students is 62.
sample σ from 5 students =27.44
The standard deviation of 50 students is 17.
Standard error = 17/√5.

What is the standard error here used for ?
This represents how well this sample deviate from the population?
If I'm reading that correctly, you happen to know (by some means) that the s.d. of the whole population is 17. If you attempt to estimate the mean of the whole population by taking a sample of 5, the standard error in the resulting number is 17/√5. That is, if you were to take lots of samples of 5 and look at the calculated means, their standard deviation would be about 17/√5.
But notice I have not made use of the 27.44. In practice, if you don't know the mean of the whole population then it's very unlikely that you know its s.d. So you'll be estimating both the mean and the s.d. from the sample.
So if I can get the mean of 50 students ,x Then x-62 will be standard error?
No, standard error is the square root of the expected variance of the calculated statistic. Since the underlying population has a variance of 172, the sum of 5 samples has an expected variance of 5*172, and the average of 5 samples has an expected variance of (5*172)/52 = 172/5. The square root of that is 17/√5.

haruspex said:
If you attempt to estimate the mean of the whole population by taking a sample of 5, the standard error in the resulting number is 17/√5. That is, if you were to take lots of samples of 5 and look at the calculated means, their standard deviation would be about 17/√5.
Thank you.

haruspex said:
the sum of 5 samples has an expected variance of 5*172, and the average of 5 samples has an expected variance of (5*172)/52 = 172/5.

This is totally same as what I uploaded, I don't understand why the average of 5 samples has an expected variance of (5*172)/52 = 172/5 ?

Average of N samples is ƩXi/N. Expected variance of this is E[(ƩXi/N)2] - (E[ƩXi/N])2 = (E[(ƩXi)2] - (E[ƩXi])2)/N2.
Leaving off the factor 1/N2 for now:
E[(ƩXi)2] - (E[ƩXi])2 = E[ƩXi2i≠jXiXj]-(ƩE[Xi])2 = E[ƩXi2]+E[Ʃi≠jXiXj]-(Nμ)2 = ƩE[Xi2]+Ʃi≠jE[XiXj]-(Nμ)2
= N(σ22)+N(N-1)μ2-(Nμ)2 = Nσ2
So expected variance of average is σ2/N

haruspex said:
Average of N samples is ƩXi/N. Expected variance of this is E[(ƩXi/N)2] - (E[ƩXi/N])2 = (E[(ƩXi)2] - (E[ƩXi])2)/N2.

Is that the definition? I mean we must define the variance in this way?

Outrageous said:
Is that the definition? I mean we must define the variance in this way?

The variance of a set of numbers is the mean square difference from the mean: Ʃ(xi-μ)2/N, where μ = Ʃxi/N. It's not hard to show that this is the same as (Ʃxi2/N) - μ2. Or, writing in terms of expectations of a r.v., E[X2]-(E[X])2.

I am not sure the expected is the mean or?
Can you please guide more .
Really thank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 461

What is standard error?

Standard error is a measure of the variability or spread of a statistic, such as the mean, in a sample. It represents the average amount that a statistic would vary if the same population was sampled multiple times.

How do we calculate standard error?

Standard error is calculated by dividing the standard deviation of a statistic by the square root of the sample size. This formula accounts for the fact that larger sample sizes tend to have less variability than smaller sample sizes.

What is the difference between standard error and standard deviation?

Standard error and standard deviation are both measures of variability, but they represent different things. Standard deviation measures the variability of individual data points from the mean, while standard error measures the variability of a statistic from the true population parameter.

Why is standard error useful?

Standard error is useful because it allows us to estimate the precision of a statistic. It tells us how much we can expect a statistic to vary from one sample to another, and therefore helps us to evaluate the reliability of our results.

Can standard error be negative?

No, standard error cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents a measure of variability. If a calculation results in a negative value, it is likely due to an error in the data or the calculation itself.