Explaining Equation (2.8) from Equation (2.6)

• Thread starter Lapidus
  • Start date
In summary, the derivation of equation (2.8) from equation (2.6) on page 20 (pdf page 21) is done by using equation (2.9), which follows from equation (2.10). This can be understood by reading the equations backwards. Additionally, in Z(J), the integral over x is also necessary, as shown in Tony Zee's book. However, there was a typo in Zee's book where the integrals were omitted, but they are present in the second edition. Further clarification may be needed for the problem in the lecture notes from Michael Luke.
Lapidus
Could someone explain to me how equation (2.8) follows from equation (2.6) on page 20 (pdf page 21) http://www.physics.utoronto.ca/~luke/PHY2403/References_files/lecturenotesII.pdf"

It must be easy.

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
He derives (2.8) from (2.6) by using (2.9)! Which in turn follows from (2.10). You just have to read it backwards...

Many thanks, Bill_K!

So do I get Z[J(y)]= 1 + Z[J(x_1)] +(1/2)Z[J(x_1)]Z[J(x_2)] + (1/3)Z[J(x_1)]Z[J(x_2)]Z[J(x_3)] + ... ? Does that make sense?

Tony Zee expands Z(J) in his book, too, http://press.princeton.edu/chapters/s9227.pdf" first line of equation (13). But why does he not have the integrals over x in his expansion? Has that something to do with the Z(0,0) in front?

again, thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a typo!

Zee forgot to put the integrals in the equation. I checked, in the second edition they are there.

But back to my initial problem in the lecture notes from Michael Luke. When I insert 2.6 into 2.8 do I get Z[J(y)]= 1 + Z[J(x_1)] +(1/2)Z[J(x_1)]Z[J(x_2)]+(1/3)Z[J(x_1)]Z[J(x_2)]Z[J(x_3)] + ... ?

I would welcome any further hints. thank you

Related to Explaining Equation (2.8) from Equation (2.6)

1. What is equation (2.8) and how does it relate to equation (2.6)?

Equation (2.8) is a mathematical expression that is derived from equation (2.6) through a series of calculations and simplifications. It is a more specific and detailed representation of the relationship between the variables in equation (2.6).

2. Why is equation (2.8) important in the context of the scientific study?

Equation (2.8) is important because it provides a more precise understanding of the underlying principles and mechanisms involved in the phenomenon being studied. It allows for better predictions and analysis of data, which is essential in scientific research.

3. Can you explain the significance of the variables in equation (2.8)?

The variables in equation (2.8) represent different factors that influence the outcome or behavior of the system being studied. By understanding the meaning and role of each variable, we can gain insight into the overall functioning of the system and make more accurate interpretations of the results.

4. How does equation (2.8) contribute to the overall understanding of the scientific concept being studied?

Equation (2.8) provides a quantitative representation of the relationship between variables in a scientific concept. It allows for a more rigorous and precise analysis, leading to a deeper understanding of the concept and its underlying principles.

5. Are there any limitations to equation (2.8) and its application in scientific research?

Like any mathematical equation, equation (2.8) has limitations in its ability to fully capture the complexity of real-world systems. It is based on certain assumptions and simplifications, and may not account for all variables and factors that can affect the phenomenon being studied. Therefore, it is important to use caution and consider other evidence when interpreting the results derived from equation (2.8).