How to derive the currents of Z boson and the EM current?

In summary: Overall, these equations show the interactions between the weak and electromagnetic forces and their corresponding fields and currents.
wormwoodsilver101
TL;DR Summary
Starting from the gauge-invariant kinetic terms of the fermions of the first generation (Eq(7)) in the
lecture notes, find J^μ_W^3 and J^μ_B. Then using the definition for Z boson and photon (Eq(17) in the lecture
notes), reproduce the currents of the Z boson (Eq(18)) and the EM current (Eq(19)). You only need
to work on the terms involving the leptons of the first generation, i.e., e_L; e_R and v_e_L.
I am a student minor in physics and I am taking this course of particle physics. And I have been lost since the Non-Abelian Gauge Theory which a few lectures before Electroweak unified Theory lecture.

i am completely confused and overwhelmed by the math since the mid-term exam, since I was not equip with the mathematical background (such as group theory, symmetry, lie algebra, tensors...), and my lecturer didn't actually explain the mathematics needed, so it is very confusing for me and my classmates to understand and comprehend the course materials.

I have actually searched for other lecture notes on the internet to see if there is more information for me to patch up the missing math knowledge or other ways to explain Electroweak theory. However, it does not help, and some lecture notes uses a different set of notations, which confuses me even more, or they don't contain the equations that I need.

Some links for the notes that I have read:

https://webhome.weizmann.ac.il/home/yotams/notes/ep2.pdf

Lectures 21 - PHY357: Electroweak Unification

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/ho/SM.pdf

So I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can help out with this homework problem and explain the math to me. Thank You.

Question:
capture-png.png

Equations from lecture notes:
1573372748809-png.png

1573372766189-png.png

1573372784724-png.png

1573372802334-png.png

1573372835258-png.png

Weak Charged Currents:
1573372886355-png.png

Weak Neutral Currents:
1573372925691-png.png

1573372950383-png.png

EM Current:
The terms of the field Z_μ and Aμ, the neutral-current part of the Lagrangian Eq can be written as "Hidden in lecture notes for homework"
1573372976894-png.png

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the meaning of the terms in these equations?Answer:The equations you have provided are from the Electroweak Unified Theory, which is a theory that unifies the electromagnetic and weak forces. In the first equation, the weak charged current, we see the term 'Jμ^W+', which represents the weak charged current. This current is responsible for the decay of particles such as the W+ boson, which mediates the weak interaction. It is composed of the charged quark-lepton pairs - a left-handed electron (e−L) and a right-handed positron (e+R). In the second equation, the weak neutral current, we see the term 'Jμ^Z', which represents the weak neutral current. This current is responsible for the decay of particles such as the Z boson, which mediates the weak interaction. It is composed of the neutral quark-lepton pairs - a left-handed neutrino (νL) and a right-handed anti-neutrino (νR). Finally, in the last equation, the EM current, we see the terms 'Z_μ' and 'Aμ'. These terms represent the fields associated with the electromagnetic force. The 'Aμ' term represents the electromagnetic four-vector potential, while the 'Zμ' term represents the field associated with the weak neutral current. Both of these fields interact with the quark-lepton pairs to generate the electromagnetic force.

1. How do you derive the currents of Z boson and the EM current?

The currents of Z boson and the EM current can be derived using the Feynman rules, which are a set of mathematical rules that describe the interactions between particles in quantum field theory. These rules involve calculating the amplitude of a particular process, which can then be used to derive the currents.

2. What is the significance of deriving the currents of Z boson and the EM current?

Deriving the currents of Z boson and the EM current allows scientists to understand the fundamental interactions between particles and how they contribute to the overall behavior of the universe. It also helps in predicting and explaining various phenomena in particle physics.

3. Can the currents of Z boson and the EM current be derived experimentally?

Yes, the currents of Z boson and the EM current can be derived experimentally through high-energy particle collisions. By analyzing the data from these collisions, scientists can extract the currents and compare them to theoretical predictions.

4. Are there any challenges in deriving the currents of Z boson and the EM current?

Yes, there are several challenges in deriving the currents of Z boson and the EM current. These include the complex mathematical calculations involved, the need for high-energy particle accelerators, and the difficulty in isolating and detecting the particles involved in the interactions.

5. How do the currents of Z boson and the EM current relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The currents of Z boson and the EM current are key components of the Standard Model, which is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. The currents are essential for understanding the electromagnetic and weak interactions between particles, as described by the Standard Model.