Explaining steps in simplification

• Thread starter exequor
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the missing stages in an expression shown in the attached picture. The speaker believes it has to do with identities, but the book they got it from did not provide a clear explanation on how to go from one line to another. They are seeking help in understanding this process and it is revealed that there is a mistake in the lines. The transformation of the righthand sides in line 2 to 3 is the sine summation formula, while the transformation of the righthand sides in line 3 to 4 is the double angle formula.
exequor
can someone explain to me the stages that are missing in the expression in the attached picture. i think that it has to do with identities but in the book that i got it from did not explain clearly how they went from one line to another. i will appreciate the help very much. all i am trying to do is to understand how to go from one line to the other.

Attachments

• physicsexp.gif
    physicsexp.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 476
Mathematics news on Phys.org
No wonder you're stuck; the lines contain a mistake. (Setting "theta"=15 in the last line yields 1.1=sin30)
The transformation of the righthand sides in line 2 to 3 is the sine summation formula

Sure, I would be happy to explain the steps in simplification. The process of simplification involves transforming a complex expression into a simpler form by applying various mathematical rules and properties. This can be done in several stages, including:

1. Simplifying within parentheses: If the expression contains parentheses, start by simplifying the terms within them using the appropriate rules, such as the distributive property or combining like terms.

2. Simplifying exponents: Next, simplify any exponents in the expression by applying the laws of exponents, such as the power rule or the product rule.

3. Combining like terms: Look for terms that are similar and combine them using the commutative and associative properties. This will reduce the number of terms in the expression.

4. Applying identities: Use identities, such as the Pythagorean identity or the double angle identity, to simplify the expression further.

5. Factoring: If the expression can be factored, do so to simplify it. This involves breaking down the expression into smaller parts that can be simplified individually.

6. Canceling out terms: If there are any terms that are the same on the top and bottom of a fraction, they can be canceled out to simplify the expression.

7. Simplifying fractions: If the expression contains fractions, simplify them by finding the lowest common denominator and reducing the fractions to their simplest form.

It is important to note that the order in which these steps are applied may vary depending on the expression. Additionally, some expressions may require multiple iterations of these steps to fully simplify them. I hope this helps in understanding the process of simplification.

1. What is simplification?

Simplification is the process of breaking down a complex problem, concept, or idea into smaller, more manageable parts. It involves identifying the essential elements and eliminating any unnecessary or extraneous details.

2. Why is it important to explain steps in simplification?

Explaining the steps in simplification helps others understand the thought process and rationale behind the simplification. It also allows for easier communication and collaboration, as everyone is on the same page about the approach being taken.

3. What are the common steps in simplification?

The common steps in simplification include: identifying the problem or concept, breaking it down into smaller components, eliminating unnecessary details, organizing the remaining information, and communicating the simplified version to others.

4. How do you know when something has been simplified enough?

The level of simplification can vary depending on the audience and purpose. However, a good rule of thumb is that the simplified version should be easy to understand and should not lose any essential information or meaning from the original concept.

5. How can I improve my simplification skills?

Improving simplification skills takes practice and experience. Some tips for improving include breaking down complex ideas into smaller parts, using visual aids or analogies to illustrate the concept, and asking for feedback from others to see if they understand the simplified version.