Explanation for term in formula, QFT

In summary, the delta x_i in equation 2.18 on page 31 serves as a functional derivative and is used to show explicitly that the author is talking about separate cells with the index i as one of the arguments of the field operator.
beta3
Hi

I've got a question about a term in a formula I've found in Mandl&Shaw's QFT book

It's about equation 2.18 on page 31

[tex] L(t) = {\sum_i \delta \bf{x}_i {\cal L}_i \ ... [/tex]

Why is there a delta x_i when summing over all lagrangians for getting the lagrange-function for the whole system?
And what operator is that delta in this particular equation?
The difference between two different points? (wouldn't that rather be [tex] \Delta \bf{x} [/tex] ?)
[tex] \delta [/tex] serves only as functional derivative AFAIK

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have Mandl & Shaw, this looks like a derivation of a field Lagrangian from a system of finite oscillators? The continuum limit [tex]\delta x_i \rightarrow 0[/tex] means you're spacing the components closer and closer together, which means their masses (and thus Lagrangians) must be scaled down as [tex]\delta x_i[/tex] if the mass density is to remain unchanged. There's a nice discussion in the final chapter of Goldstein, I assume a QFT book would not go into much detail about this.

As for the notation, it looks like he's summing over infinitesimals [tex]\delta x_i[/tex], which is a physicist's way of doing calculus. :rolleyes: It essentially means [tex]\int dx \, {\cal L} (x)[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Rach3 said:
I don't have Mandl & Shaw, this looks like a derivation of a field Lagrangian from a system of finite oscillators? The continuum limit [tex]\delta x_i \rightarrow 0[/tex] means you're spacing the components closer and closer together, which means their masses (and thus Lagrangians) must be scaled down as [tex]\delta x_i[/tex] if the mass density is to remain unchanged. There's a nice discussion in the final chapter of Goldstein, I assume a QFT book would not go into much detail about this.

yep, exactly, that's what is described in the book

As for the notation, it looks like he's summing over infinitesimals [tex]\delta x_i[/tex], which is a physicist's way of doing calculus. :rolleyes: It essentially means [tex]\int dx \, {\cal L} (x)[/tex].

oh, IC now the reason of my wrong understanding. He uses [tex] \delta x_i [/tex] because he wants to show explicitly that he's talking about separate cells (with the index i as one of the arguments of the field operator). On the page before that he declares explicitly his -in my opinion, awkward - notation.

Thanks ;)

1. What is QFT?

QFT stands for Quantum Field Theory. It is a theoretical framework that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

2. What is the purpose of QFT?

The purpose of QFT is to provide a mathematical model to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. It has successfully explained many phenomena in particle physics and has been verified through experiments.

3. How does QFT differ from classical physics?

QFT differs from classical physics in that it takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, which describe the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. Classical physics, on the other hand, deals with macroscopic objects and does not consider the effects of quantum mechanics.

4. What is the role of fields in QFT?

Fields are fundamental concepts in QFT and are used to describe the behavior of particles. According to QFT, all particles are excitations of their respective fields, and interactions between particles are described as exchanges of field quanta.

5. What are some applications of QFT?

QFT has many applications in particle physics, including the Standard Model, which describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. It is also used in the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.