1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explanation of Eq of Peskin's Intro to QFT Book

1. Feb 7, 2006 #1
    Hi

Can someone please explain to me Eq 2.30 in Schroeder's and Peskin's book? (page 21)

how does he simplify the long equation of the commutator to this delta distribution?
    [tex]\imath\delta^(^3^)\ (x - x') [/tex]

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2006 #2

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He starts with:

[tex][a_{\textbf p},a_{\textbf p'}^{\sp\dagger}]=(2\pi)^3\delta^{(3)}(\textbf p-\textbf p')[/tex]

This means that:

[tex][a_{-\textbf p}^{\sp\dagger},a_{\textbf p'}]-[a_{\textbf p},a_{-\textbf p'}^{\sp\dagger}]=-2(2\pi)^3\delta^{(3)}(\textbf p+\textbf p')[/tex]

Substituting this in and integrating over the delta function (i.e. replacing p with -p'), you get:

[tex]i\int \frac{d^3p'}{(2\pi)^3}e^{i\textbf p'(\textbf x'-\textbf x)}[/tex]

which is just i times the inverse Fourier transform of [itex]e^{i\textbf p'\textbf x'}[/itex]:

[tex][\phi(\textbf x),\pi(\textbf x')]=i\delta^{(3)}(\textbf x-\textbf x')[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  4. Feb 8, 2006 #3
    thanks, but there's one thing i still don't understand

after substituting it in and then if you integrate, what happens to the term
    [tex] \sqrt{\frac{\omega_p_'}{\omega_p}} [/tex]

5. Feb 8, 2006 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

since p = p' (where by p I mean the magnituide of the three-vector), the two omegas are equal.

Pat

6. Feb 8, 2006 #5
    ah, yeah, now everything makes sense

Thank you two both soo much :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?