Peskin QFT - Noether's theorem

In summary: I think I figured my other mistake too. I instinctively thought that if\partial _\mu \mathcal J ^\mu = \partial _\mu \left( \frac{ \partial \mathcal L }{\partial (\partial _\mu \phi)} \Delta \phi \right)then\mathcal J ^\mu = \left( \frac{ \partial \mathcal L }{\partial (\partial _\mu \phi)} \Delta \phi \right)which was turning that definition into nonsense, but this isn't (necessarily) true, as we could have some constant in there.Thanks everyone, I think those are all my difficulties with that
diegzumillo
Hi all
Maybe you could help me understanding this bit from the beginning of the book (peskin - intro to QFT).

Homework Statement

In section 2.2, subsection "Noether's theorem" he first wants to show that continuous transformations on the fields that leave the equations of motion invariant (called symmetries) will have a corresponding conserved quantity. We can write a transformation like this:
[tex]\phi (x) \rightarrow \phi (x) + \alpha \Delta \phi (x)[/tex]
More specifically, he arguments that symmetries require the Lagrangian to be invariant under that transformation and writes:
[tex] \mathcal L (x) \rightarrow \mathcal L (x) +\alpha \partial _\mu \mathcal J ^\mu[/tex]

Right, now let's see what this actual variation is using the field variation:

[tex]\alpha \Delta \mathcal L = \frac {\partial \mathcal L}{\partial \phi}(\alpha \Delta \phi) + \left( \frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial _\mu \phi) } \right) \partial _\mu (\alpha \Delta \phi )[/tex]
which becomes (if anyone wants more steps, let me know)
[tex]\alpha \Delta \mathcal L = \alpha \partial _\mu \left( \frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial _\mu \phi) } \Delta \phi \right)[/tex]

So far I follow! but then he writes "we set the remaining term equal to [itex]\alpha \partial _\mu \mathcal J ^\mu[/itex] and find
[tex] \partial _\mu j^\mu (x) = 0[/tex]
where
[tex]j^\mu (x)= \frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial _\mu \phi)} \Delta \phi - \mathcal J^\mu[/tex]

I just don't get his definition of [itex]j^\mu[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

When he says "set the remaining term equal to [itex]\alpha \partial _\mu \mathcal J ^\mu[/itex]" this is what he's saying:
[tex]\alpha \partial _\mu \left( \frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial _\mu \phi)}\Delta \phi \right) = \alpha \partial _\mu \mathcal J^\mu[/tex]
correct? so his definition of [itex]j^\mu[/itex] becomes
[tex]j^\mu = \frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial _\mu \phi)}\Delta \phi - \frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial _\mu \phi)}\Delta \phi = 0[/tex]
wait, what? what am I missing?

I have studied Noether's theorem before and I just don't see why he introduces these two J and j. To me, simply stating that [itex]\Delta \mathcal L = 0[/itex] leads to [itex]\partial _\mu \mathcal J^\mu = 0[/itex] which is the conserved quantity. But I don't get what he is doing.

Physics news on Phys.org
diegzumillo said:
More specifically, he arguments that symmetries require the Lagrangian to be invariant under that transformation and writes:
[tex] \mathcal L (x) \rightarrow \mathcal L (x) +\alpha \partial _\mu \mathcal J ^\mu[/tex]

I have a suspicion that this is what you're missing. We do not require [itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex] to be invariant, we require that the action has the same saddle point; so the action is only shifted by a constant by the transformation. Thus, the lagrangian density can only change by a total 4-divergence.

This does NOT mean [itex]\partial_{\mu} J^{\mu} = 0[/itex]! The upper-case J parametrizes a change in the lagrangian density under the transformation. It's an input into the definition of the current lower-case j. (They really did pick a notation that could confuse, huh?)

Likes 1 person
king vitamin said:
I have a suspicion that this is what you're missing. We do not require [itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex] to be invariant, we require that the action has the same saddle point; so the action is only shifted by a constant by the transformation. Thus, the lagrangian density can only change by a total 4-divergence.

Oh! That makes more sense.

I think I figured my other mistake too. I instinctively thought that if
[tex]\partial _\mu \mathcal J ^\mu = \partial _\mu \left( \frac{ \partial \mathcal L }{\partial (\partial _\mu \phi)} \Delta \phi \right)[/tex]
then
[tex] \mathcal J ^\mu = \left( \frac{ \partial \mathcal L }{\partial (\partial _\mu \phi)} \Delta \phi \right)[/tex]
which was turning that definition into nonsense, but this isn't (necessarily) true, as we could have some constant in there.

I'm starting to think I need to review my covariant notation knowledge. This stuff is really confusing me.

diegzumillo said:
... as we could have some constant in there.
Or, for example, the divergence of an anti symmetric tensor.

CAF123 said:
Or, for example, the divergence of an anti symmetric tensor.

Could you elaborate? I can see how a curl of something could be there, as it would vanish when applying the divergence.

If you add the divergence of an anti-symmetric tensor [itex]\partial_\nu F^{\nu\mu}[/itex] to [itex]\mathcal J^\mu[/itex], then you get
[tex]
\partial_\mu \mathcal J^\mu \rightarrow \partial_\mu (\mathcal J^\mu + \partial_\nu F^{\nu\mu}) = \partial_\mu \mathcal J^\mu,
[/tex]
since [itex]\partial_\mu \partial_\nu F^{\nu\mu} = 0[/itex] - so essentially the same reason the divergence of a curl vanishes.

Thanks everyone, I think those are all my difficulties with that part :)
(the other difficulties deserve new topics)

diegzumillo said:
Could you elaborate? I can see how a curl of something could be there, as it would vanish when applying the divergence.
I thought I had an argument, but it appears I was circling myself.
Given $$\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\mu \nu} = \partial_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu \nu} = -\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}F^{\nu \mu}$$ and then relabel (##\mu \rightarrow \nu, \nu \rightarrow \mu##) gives $$\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}F^{\nu \mu} = \partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\nu \mu} = - \partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\mu \nu} = -\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu \nu}$$

But I can't quite use this to get ##\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\mu \nu} = 0##. Can you see?

CAF123 said:
But I can't quite use this to get ##\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\mu \nu} = 0##. Can you see?

##\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}## is symmetric in its indices and ##F^{\mu\nu}## is antisymmetric in its indices so the contraction vanishes. More explicitly, ##\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\mu\nu} = -\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\nu\mu} = -\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}F^{\nu\mu} = -\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\mu\nu}##.

WannabeNewton said:
##\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}## is symmetric in its indices and ##F^{\mu\nu}## is antisymmetric in its indices so the contraction vanishes. More explicitly, ##\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\mu\nu} = -\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\nu\mu} = -\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}F^{\nu\mu} = -\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\mu\nu}##.
Hi WbN! Thanks, but what property are you using to establish the last equality?

CAF123 said:
Hi WbN! Thanks, but what property are you using to establish the last equality?

I relabeled the indices.

CAF123 said:
I thought I had an argument, but it appears I was circling myself.
Given $$\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\mu \nu} = \partial_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu \nu} = -\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}F^{\nu \mu}$$ and then relabel (##\mu \rightarrow \nu, \nu \rightarrow \mu##) gives $$\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}F^{\nu \mu} = \partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\nu \mu} = - \partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\mu \nu} = -\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu \nu}$$

I also convinced myself with a wrong argument.

WannabeNewton said:
I relabeled the indices.

Let me see if I get this. Usually relabeling has to be done in an entire equation, but you can also relabel when the indices are being summed, which is the case there. So this equation is not valid:
[tex]F_a = F _y[/tex]
but this one is
[tex]\partial _a F^a = \partial _b F^b[/tex]

edit: this seems so embarassingly obvious after I wrote it down.

WannabeNewton said:
I relabeled the indices.
That's what I thought and indeed what you wrote was what I had in mind initially. But can you relabel like that without relabeling the 'other' side of the equation so to speak?

For example, ##\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\mu \nu} = \partial_{\nu}\partial_{ \mu} F^{\nu \mu} = \partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\nu \mu} \Rightarrow ## a solution is that ##F^{\mu \nu} = F^{\nu \mu}## which is not true. In the first equality, I relabelled and in the second used the commutivity of the partial derivatives.

CAF123 said:
That's what I thought and indeed what you wrote was what I had in mind initially. But can you relabel like that without relabeling the 'other' side of the equation so to speak?

For example, ##\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\mu \nu} = \partial_{\nu}\partial_{ \mu} F^{\nu \mu} = \partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\nu \mu} \Rightarrow ## a solution is that ##F^{\mu \nu} = F^{\nu \mu}## which is not true. In the first equality, I relabelled and in the second used the commutivity of the partial derivatives.

I'm not sure what you mean. It is true that ##\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\mu \nu} = \partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\nu \mu}##, but this doesn't mean that F is symmetric. In fact, every singe antisymmetric F satisfies both equations, since both sides equal zero by WannabeNewton's proof. EDIT: To be clear, a symmetric F would also satisfy this equation, it's an exact identity.

Last edited:
Yes, it makes sense. Thanks WbN and king vitamin.

king vitamin said:
I'm not sure what you mean. It is true that ##\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\mu \nu} = \partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\nu \mu}##, but this doesn't mean that F is symmetric. In fact, every singe antisymmetric F satisfies both equations, since both sides equal zero by WannabeNewton's proof.

Adding to what king vitamin wrote

##\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\mu \nu} = \partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\nu \mu}## leads to ##0 = \partial_{\mu} \partial_{\nu} \left(F^{\mu \nu} - F^{\nu \mu} \right)= \partial_{\mu} \partial_{\nu} K^{\mu \nu}##, where ##K^{\mu \nu} = F^{\mu \nu} - F^{\nu \mu}## is antisymmetric for any ##F^{\mu \nu}##. Consequently, any ##F^{\mu \nu}## is a solution.

[edit]CAF123 posted while I was working on my latex. Didn't see it.[/edit]

Likes 1 person

1. What is Noether's theorem in Peskin QFT?

Noether's theorem, also known as Noether's first theorem, is a fundamental result in quantum field theory (QFT) that connects the symmetries of a physical system to its conserved quantities. It states that for every continuous symmetry of a Lagrangian, there exists a corresponding conserved current (and, therefore, a conserved charge) in the theory. This theorem is essential for understanding the fundamental interactions of particles in QFT.

2. How does Noether's theorem relate to the conservation laws of energy, momentum, and angular momentum?

Noether's theorem provides a mathematical framework for understanding the origins of the conservation laws of energy, momentum, and angular momentum in QFT. It states that these conservation laws arise from the symmetries of the Lagrangian, such as time translation invariance for energy conservation and rotational symmetry for angular momentum conservation.

3. Can Noether's theorem be applied to non-relativistic quantum systems?

Yes, Noether's theorem can be applied to both relativistic and non-relativistic quantum systems. However, it is most commonly used in the context of relativistic QFT, where symmetries play a more significant role.

4. Are there any limitations to Noether's theorem in Peskin QFT?

While Noether's theorem is a powerful tool in QFT, it does have some limitations. It only applies to continuous symmetries and does not hold for discrete symmetries. Additionally, the theorem does not guarantee that all conserved quantities can be derived from symmetries, as there may be additional conserved quantities that are not related to symmetries.

5. What are some practical applications of Noether's theorem in Peskin QFT?

Noether's theorem has numerous practical applications in QFT, particularly in the study of particle interactions. It is used to derive Feynman rules, which are essential for calculating amplitudes in scattering processes. It is also used in the development of theories such as quantum electrodynamics and the standard model of particle physics.