Explicit Proof of the Consistency of the Transverse-Traceless Gauge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of choosing the transverse-traceless gauge in linearized gravity and how it relates to the gauge transformation \xi^\mu. The speaker is trying to explicitly show this choice, but has not found any references that do so without using plane waves as solutions. They are also curious about the significance of this choice in terms of choosing a Lorentz frame.
NanakiXIII
Hey all,

I am trying to see that in linearized gravity, choosing the transverse-traceless gauge is actually a valid choice to make. More specifically, I am trying to explicitly show what most textbooks just mention in passing, e.g. Maggiore:

...we can choose the functions [itex]\xi^0[/itex] such that the trace [itex]\overline{h} = 0[/itex]. (...) The three functions [itex]\xi^i(x)[/itex] are now chosen so that [itex]h^{0i}(x) = 0[/itex].

Where the [itex]\xi^\mu[/itex] encode the gauge transformation [itex]x^\mu \rightarrow x^\mu + \xi^\mu (x)[/itex].

None of the books I have do this explicitly, or they do it by substituting plane waves as solutions, so I tried my hand at it myself and while it seems so far correct that one can choose the transformation as such, I'm unable to prove so far that this choice is compatible with the requirement [itex]\partial^2 \xi^\mu = 0[/itex].

Does anyone have a reference where this is done by just examining the transformation behavior of [itex]\overline{h}_{\mu\nu}[/itex]? Or is there some reason why it doesn't make sense to do this?

As an additional question, I read that going to the TT gauge also implies "choosing a Lorentz frame." What is the significance of this statement and where does it enter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone provide any insight?

1. What is the transverse-traceless gauge and why is it important in physics?

The transverse-traceless gauge is a mathematical framework used in the theory of general relativity to describe the behavior of gravitational waves. It is important because it allows us to simplify the equations and make them easier to solve, making it a useful tool in understanding and predicting the behavior of gravitational waves.

2. What does it mean for a gauge to be "explicitly proven" consistent?

In the context of the transverse-traceless gauge, proving its consistency means showing that the mathematical framework is free from contradictions and can accurately describe physical phenomena without any issues or discrepancies.

3. How is the consistency of the transverse-traceless gauge proven?

The consistency of the transverse-traceless gauge is proven through a rigorous mathematical process known as a proof. This involves using established mathematical principles and logical reasoning to show that the gauge is internally consistent and does not lead to any contradictions or paradoxes.

4. Why is it important to prove the consistency of the transverse-traceless gauge?

Proving the consistency of the transverse-traceless gauge is important because it ensures that the mathematical framework used to describe gravitational waves is reliable and accurate. This is crucial in making predictions and conducting experiments in the field of general relativity.

5. What are the implications of an inconsistent transverse-traceless gauge?

If the transverse-traceless gauge were found to be inconsistent, it would mean that our understanding of gravitational waves and general relativity is flawed. This could lead to incorrect predictions and a lack of understanding about the behavior of these phenomena, ultimately hindering progress in the field of physics.