Exploring College Physics: Recommended Books for Self-Study

• Other
  • Thread starter Siberian Husky
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person who has graduated high school and is now studying in an ESL program. They have learned AP physics 2 and want to learn college physics, but their program does not offer physics courses. They ask for book recommendations and are told that "real physics" starts in college and requires calculus as a prerequisite. They mention they have learned Calculus AB in high school and are studying in an ESL program at a private university. They ask if this includes most of calculus 1 and are told that university or community college level calculus will teach the basics of derivatives and integrals, and is a prerequisite for physics 1.
Siberian Husky
I graduated from high school this year. And now I am taking a ESL program. I have learned AP physics 2. I want to learn some college physics, but there is no physics courses in the program I am taking. Can you recommend some books, so I can learn some by myself?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you studied any calculus yet? "Real Physics" starts in college/university with a calculus-based intro physics course using e.g. Halliday/Resnick/Walker Fundamentals of Physics. Use the forum search (upper right of the page if you're on a desktop or notebook computer) to "search this forum only" for "Halliday" and you'll probably find lots of threads comparing intro physics books.

Likes Siberian Husky
jtbell said:
Have you studied any calculus yet? "Real Physics" starts in college/university with a calculus-based intro physics course using e.g. Halliday/Resnick/Walker Fundamentals of Physics. Use the forum search (upper right of the page if you're on a desktop or notebook computer) to "search this forum only" for "Halliday" and you'll probably find lots of threads comparing intro physics books.
Ok, thanks! What do you mean by "real physics"?

Siberian Husky said:
I graduated from high school this year. And now I am taking a ESL program. I have learned AP physics 2. I want to learn some college physics, but there is no physics courses in the program I am taking. Can you recommend some books, so I can learn some by myself?
This depends how far along you are with ESL. The college (community college) would give instruction using English. Check with the college to find about TEOFL from which this should indicate if you have good enough English to take the coursework you want, or what recommendation you could be given to what book to study from.

Siberian Husky said:
Ok, thanks! What do you mean by "real physics"?
Just about every member who responds will say Calculus & Analytic Geometry 1, at the very minimum, to begin 'real physics', for Fundamental Mechanics (Physics 1). The prerequisites for Calc 1 are INTERMEDIATE Algebra if not College Algebra, AND Trigonometry.

symbolipoint said:
Just about every member who responds will say Calculus & Analytic Geometry 1, at the very minimum, to begin 'real physics', for Fundamental Mechanics (Physics 1). The prerequisites for Calc 1 are INTERMEDIATE Algebra if not College Algebra, AND Trigonometry.
I have learned Calculus AB in high school

symbolipoint said:
This depends how far along you are with ESL. The college (community college) would give instruction using English. Check with the college to find about TEOFL from which this should indicate if you have good enough English to take the coursework you want, or what recommendation you could be given to what book to study from.
I am studying in a ESL program in a private university... I got conditional offer for this university. But this program don't have physics courses.

symbolipoint said:
I think calculus AB in high school includes the most of calculus 1, right?

Siberian Husky said:
I think calculus AB in high school includes the most of calculus 1, right?
Not sure. The Calc1 from a UNIVERSITY or community college will teach and instruct about the basics of derivatives and integrals and might need or include the use of Trigonometry. Calc 1 is a prerequisite for Physics 1.

1. What topics are covered in "Exploring College Physics"?

"Exploring College Physics" covers a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, optics, and modern physics. It also includes mathematical concepts and problem-solving techniques necessary for understanding these topics.

2. Is "Exploring College Physics" suitable for self-study?

Yes, "Exploring College Physics" is specifically designed for self-study and is suitable for students with little to no background in physics. It includes clear explanations, examples, and practice problems to help students grasp the concepts on their own.

3. Are there any recommended prerequisite knowledge or skills for "Exploring College Physics"?

While no prior knowledge of physics is necessary, it is helpful to have a basic understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. These mathematical concepts are used throughout the book to solve physics problems and understand the underlying principles.

4. Are there any supplemental materials or resources that accompany "Exploring College Physics"?

Yes, "Exploring College Physics" comes with online resources such as interactive simulations, videos, and practice quizzes to further enhance the learning experience. These materials can be accessed through the book's companion website.

5. Can "Exploring College Physics" be used as a textbook for a college-level course?

Yes, "Exploring College Physics" can be used as a textbook for introductory college physics courses. It covers all the necessary topics and provides a comprehensive review of the material. Instructors can also use the book's online resources to supplement their lectures and assignments.