Finding the Right Physics Books for College: A Guide for Students

wolly
Hi,I m studying for college and I need to receive some info from you guys. Which books should I use to study mechanics,thermodynamics,electricity and magnetism?
I have no idea what books I should study because my own physics teacher has some pdfs in her USB and I can t borrow the USB because that would be cheating.
I would like to learn from books with animated drawings!

Physics news on Phys.org
What text does your instructor recommend?

wolly said:
I would like to learn from books with animated drawings!
On-line videos may have animated drawings, but text books certainly will not.

Oh, and I do not recommend on-line videos. If you are serious about physics, use an actual text book.

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
What text does your instructor recommend?
She didn t recommend me anything!

[Mentor Note: post edited to remove an inappropriate comment]

Last edited by a moderator:
phinds said:
On-line videos may have animated drawings, but text books certainly will not.

Oh, and I do not recommend on-line videos. If you are serious about physics, use an actual text book.
In a book which I downloaded they showed me something with drawings. I don t remember the book but I remember there were some formulas explained!

wolly said:
In a book which I downloaded they showed me something with drawings. I don t remember the book but I remember there were some formulas explained!
I don't understand what this has to do with animated videos.

Likes bhobba, vanhees71 and PhDeezNutz
wolly said:

You’ve described almost every text book ever. I’m starting to think this is a troll thread.

• Haha
Likes rajsekharnath, bhobba, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
Alright if you’re looking for a general textbook that covers an introductory broad range of topics. Young and Friedman University Physics.

wolly said:
She didn t recommend me anything!

[Mentor Note: post edited to remove an inappropriate comment]
Right back atcha!

But let me see if I understand. You asked "What textbook should I use?" and she was completely silent? That's.....highly unusual.

Likes bhobba and vanhees71
wolly said:
my own physics teacher has some pdfs in her USB and I can t borrow the USB because that would be cheating.
What do you mean by "USB"? The usual expansion of this acronym is Universal Serial Bus. Do you mean USB drive AKA "thumb drive" or "zip drive" etc.?

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and Vanadium 50
Mark44 said:
What do you mean by "USB"? The usual expansion of this acronym is Universal Serial Bus. Do you mean USB drive AKA "thumb drive" or "zip drive" etc.?
Yes an USB drive. She won t let me borrow it and she told me that I can find some of the courses online and that was the reason why I had to use piracy. I m sorry if I bothered you but my teacher is very selfish!
There is a campus on my University but the courses are just a bunch of formulas with no explication!

Vanadium 50 said:
Right back atcha!

But let me see if I understand. You asked "What textbook should I use?" and she was completely silent? That's.....highly unusual.
Well she won t listen to me and she told me that if I try to receive help from her courses I would be expelled from the University and I won t be able to graduate!

I'll be completely honest,the physics courses belong to some pdfs which the teacher owns.There are no books in this course. I tried to negociate with her to send me some courses but she refused me!

wolly said:
Yes an USB drive. She won t let me borrow it and she told me that I can find some of the courses online and that was the reason why I had to use piracy.
Maybe she has good reasons for not letting you borrow her USB drive, such as that it might have exams and solutions as well as personal information. She has given you an alternate source -- the online courses.
wolly said:
I m sorry if I bothered you but my teacher is very selfish!
Like I said, maybe there are legitimate reasons for her to not lend the USB drive to you.
wolly said:
There is a campus on my University but the courses are just a bunch of formulas with no explication!
I find that very hard to believe.

wolly said:
she told me that if I try to receive help from her courses I would be expelled from the University and I won t be able to graduate!
Do you mean like posting on PF?

Likes Vanadium 50
wolly said:
Well she won t listen to me and she told me that if I try to receive help from her courses I would be expelled from the University

berkeman said:
Do you mean like posting on PF?

Good golly, @wolly.

I think we shouldn't risk that.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Can't go wrong with an old edition of University Physics by Young and Freedman.

Likes bhobba and PhDeezNutz
Here are some standard texts:

University Physics by Young and Freedman
Fundamentals/principles of Physics by Halliday Resnick Walker
Physics by Halliday Resnick Krane
Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Serway and Jewett

Most of these should be available for cheap in international editions

Likes FactChecker, bhobba and PhDeezNutz
We don't know if this is calculus-based, algebra-based or conceptual, so we may be recommending the wrong books. Also, because the teacher is allegedly playing "I've got a a secret" we cannot suggest a book that is a good complement or addition.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Vanadium 50 said:
We don't know if this is calculus-based, algebra-based or conceptual, so we may be recommending the wrong books. Also, because the teacher is allegedly playing "I've got a a secret" we cannot suggest a book that is a good complement or addition.

Yeah this whole situation is very weird. Personally I wouldn’t consider it cheating to ask for a book recommendation on PF but if the Prof does…..

If the OP isn’t scheming (or trolling) I wish them the best.

But my head hurts trying to make sense of any of this……I’m gonna bow out.

Likes Vanadium 50, berkeman and phinds

What are the best physics books for college students?

The best physics books for college students depend on the individual's learning style and the specific topics they are studying. Some popular options include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths, and "Classical Mechanics" by Taylor. It is recommended to consult with professors and upperclassmen for personalized recommendations.

What are the key factors to consider when choosing a physics book for college?

When choosing a physics book for college, it is important to consider the level of difficulty, the clarity of explanations, the relevance to the course curriculum, and the availability of practice problems and solutions. It is also helpful to read reviews and compare different editions to find the best fit.

Are there any free or affordable options for physics books for college?

Yes, there are many free or affordable options for physics books for college students. Some websites, such as OpenStax and Khan Academy, offer free online textbooks and resources. Additionally, renting or buying used books can also be more budget-friendly options.

How can I make the most out of my physics book for college?

To make the most out of your physics book for college, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include taking notes, highlighting key concepts, and solving practice problems. It is also helpful to review and summarize each chapter to reinforce understanding.

Are there any supplemental resources that can enhance my understanding of the physics book for college?

Yes, there are many supplemental resources that can enhance your understanding of the physics book for college. These can include online tutorials, lecture notes, and study guides. It is also beneficial to attend office hours and join study groups to discuss and clarify difficult concepts.