Exploring Einstein's Special Relativity Theory & ICARUS Finding

In summary, the recent ICARUS finding was in agreement with Einstein’s Special Relativity Theory. When the result was announced to the public, Professor Carlo Rubbia, Nobel laureate and spokesperson for ICARUS said that: “Our results are in agreement with what Einstein would like to have,” (1). Given that I thought that Einstein’s SR should not encounter any difficulty in confirming the ICARUS result, particularly the lower limit of δt= 0.3 - 4.0 (stat) - 9.0 (sys) = -12.7 ns. Which falls within the limits of the speed of light. I tried to perform the calculations using the above value for
suleiman
Dear all,
It is known that the recent ICARUS finding was in agreement with Einstein’s Special Relativity Theory (SR). When the result was announced to the public, Professor Carlo Rubbia, Nobel laureate and spokesperson for ICARUS said that: “Our results are in agreement with what Einstein would like to have,” (1). Given that I thought that Einstein’s SR should not encounter any difficulty in confirming the ICARUS result, particularly the lower limit of δt= 0.3 - 4.0 (stat) - 9.0 (sys) = -12.7 ns. Which falls within the limits of the speed of light.
I tried to perform the calculations using the above value for δt and the distance D from the point of departure at CERN to the destination point at Gran Sasso (D = 730,085 km - 55.7 (± 0.5) m. My calculations (and I checked several times) yielded a complex number!
I would appreciate it if someone could provide the correct calculations.
Many thanks in advance,
Ahwah

(1) See: Geoff Brumfiel, Neutrinos not faster than light- ICARUS experiment contradicts controversial claim, Nature News, 16 March 2012 Corrected: 19 March 2012.

Physics news on Phys.org

suleiman,
Show us your calculations and we can help you sort it out.
You are not going to be able to make any meaningful calculation using just the 12.7ns and the overall flight distance. There are a lot of things happening between these.
Neutrinos are sent on this long journey (2.4ms) and their flight time is compared with the speed of light. Accurate timestamping involves calibrating out a lot of instrumentation delays including cable, electronics, GPS, and determining the uncertainty of many individual sources of timing error. In the end the measured error between speed of light and neutrino speed, viewed through the lens of statistics, are compared with the expected measurement errors. In the case of ICARUS the deviation between neutrino speed and light speed was less than expected measurement error. This contrasts with the previous OPERA results that showed neutrions arriving 57.8ns early and expected measurement errors almost an order of magnitude less than this.

As stated above, you need to post the calculations so that we can show you where you made an error.

Related to Exploring Einstein's Special Relativity Theory & ICARUS Finding

What is Einstein's Special Relativity Theory and why is it important?

Einstein's Special Relativity Theory is a scientific theory that explains the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the presence of matter and energy. It is important because it revolutionized our understanding of the universe and led to the development of modern physics.

What are the key concepts of Einstein's Special Relativity Theory?

The key concepts of Einstein's Special Relativity Theory are the principle of relativity, the constancy of the speed of light, and the equivalence of mass and energy (E=mc²). These concepts challenge traditional notions of space and time and provide a new framework for understanding the universe.

What is the ICARUS experiment and what were its findings?

The ICARUS (Imaging Cosmic And Rare Underground Signals) experiment is a scientific project that aims to study neutrinos, a type of subatomic particle. In 2018, the ICARUS team announced that they had detected a significant number of neutrinos from a distant supernova, providing evidence for the theory of Special Relativity.

How does Einstein's Special Relativity Theory impact our daily lives?

Although Einstein's Special Relativity Theory may seem abstract, it has practical applications in our daily lives. For example, it is essential for the functioning of GPS systems and satellite communication. It also helps us understand the behavior of particles in nuclear reactions and the structure of the universe.

Are there any criticisms or limitations of Einstein's Special Relativity Theory?

While Einstein's Special Relativity Theory has been extensively tested and validated, it is not a complete theory and has some limitations. For instance, it does not account for the effects of gravity, and it cannot be reconciled with quantum mechanics. Scientists continue to work on developing a unified theory that can explain all aspects of the universe.