Exploring Game Theory: Resources for Beginners and Non-Scientists

In summary: Thanks for the recommendations.. I too have gained some interest in this area of Mathematics. I have not read the book I recommended you. However I am ultimately sure that the book will give a great learning experience for you, since the author of the Book is a great genius.The learning experience does not depend on the genius who wrote some essays but on the match between the initial level of the book and the reader's expertise, imho.
SuperNatural
Hello there Ph.D's and not-yet-PhDs ...

Just "discovered" game theory for myself today and am interested in finding websites, books, and professional journals that meet your high standards. I'm a beginner in game theory, and I'm not a scientist, but I do read the Journal of Memetics, Journal of Psychology, Nature for fun so I'm familiar with technical terminology.

So thank you for your responses in advance..

:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Not necessarily a "bump", but I'd definitely like to hear what people (specifically mathematicians) think of game theory. I'm a double major in mathematics and economics, and so I thought game theory would be right up my alley. Alas, I found it boring once I picked up some books. Maybe I need a good professor. Maybe I need to learn topology. *shrugs*

So, anyone? :)

Here's three books to start. Tehy're all from Dover (www.doverpublications.com), so they're cheap.
1.Games and Decisions by Luce and Raiffa.
2. Game Theory, a nontechnical introduction, by Davis.
3. Games, Theory and Applications, by Thomas.

The first two are non mathematical, and the third one requires a little matrix theory.

selfAdjoint said:
Here's three books to start. Tehy're all from Dover (www.doverpublications.com), so they're cheap.
1.Games and Decisions by Luce and Raiffa.
2. Game Theory, a nontechnical introduction, by Davis.
3. Games, Theory and Applications, by Thomas.

The first two are non mathematical, and the third one requires a little matrix theory.

Thanks for the recommendations.. :smile:

I'm still learning about this myself and I will post questions or ideas when I think of them.

"Essays on Game Theory" - By John F. Nash

I too have gained some interest in this area of Mathematics. I have not read the book I recommended you. However I am ultimately sure that the book will give a great learning experience for you, since the author of the Book is a great genius.

Last edited:
The learning experience does not depend on the genius who wrote some essays but on the match between the initial level of the book and the reader's expertise, imho.
- Unless the reader is a great genius.

Related to Exploring Game Theory: Resources for Beginners and Non-Scientists

What is Game Theory?

Game Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies strategic decision-making in situations where the outcome of one's choices depends on the choices of others. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of individuals and groups in competitive situations.

What are the applications of Game Theory?

Game Theory has a wide range of applications in various fields such as economics, political science, psychology, and biology. It is used to understand and predict behavior in markets, negotiations, auctions, and conflicts.

What are the key concepts in Game Theory?

Some key concepts in Game Theory include players, strategies, payoffs, and Nash equilibrium. Players are the decision-makers in the game, strategies are the possible choices they can make, payoffs are the outcomes they receive, and Nash equilibrium is a state where no player can improve their payoff by changing their strategy.

Can Game Theory be used in real-life situations?

Yes, Game Theory can be applied to real-life situations as it provides a framework for analyzing and understanding strategic decision-making. It has been used to study and predict behavior in various real-world scenarios such as business competitions, labor negotiations, and international conflicts.

What are the limitations of Game Theory?

Game Theory is based on certain assumptions about rationality and information, which may not always hold in real-life situations. It also does not take into account emotions, cultural differences, and other factors that may influence decision-making. Additionally, Game Theory can become complex and difficult to apply in situations with a large number of players and strategies.