Exploring Hydraulic Energy: Can Water be Lifted by Weight in Tanks?

In summary, hydraulic energy does not work because it requires a dam, stream, river, and or a waterfall of some kind at the desired location and typically is used in larger applications.
Rand
water lifted by weight??

Well I was just roaming through some renewable energy options and came across hydraulic energy. I realize that this usually requires a dam, stream, river, and or a waterfall of some kind at the desired location and typically is used in larger applications.

What I was wondering is could it be possible to do it with water holding tanks? Tank 1 would be elevated higher with a minimum downward pitch being 25 degrees, the water travels down to Tank 2 which is significantly bigger and is already 3/4's full. As the water from Tank 1 begins to travel into Tank 2 it reaches full, a sensor is triggered and a valve opens in the bottom. The weight from the water pushes it back up to Tank 1 and you create a continuous cycle

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, a continuous cycle with no net energy input would be perpetual motion, which we do not waste time discussing here on the PF. Hydraulic energy sources work in real life because thermal energy from the sun fuels the evaporation stage of the water transport.

Draw yourself a picture. It should be evident why this doesn't work.

Just make sure you get one basic point about pressure: pressure depends only on the depth of the water. With that fact in mind, you should be able to see that it is not possible for a tank of water to push water out the bottom and back up above its level.

I have seen some sites with a water spring on a hill, but yet the main source of water was below it. If it was the weight I thought perhaps you could copy what nature does but on a smaller scale.

I suppose even if you put solar pumps into the mix you are useing energy to create energy, there are ram pumps but too much water waste.

Anyway thanks for the insight, thought it would be a cool way to recharge a battery bank...Someone would have surely thought of it already though

I'm not really sure what you mean, but here is some info on how wells work: http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/gwartesian.html

Rand said:
I have seen some sites with a water spring on a hill, but yet the main source of water was below it. If it was the weight I thought perhaps you could copy what nature does but on a smaller scale.

I suppose even if you put solar pumps into the mix you are useing energy to create energy, there are ram pumps but too much water waste.

Anyway thanks for the insight, thought it would be a cool way to recharge a battery bank...Someone would have surely thought of it already though

What you have seen uses the motion of the water running down hill to pump a fraction of it uphill to where it needs to be.

A short walk from where I live the canal that served the stone mines runs parallel to the river. There is a lovely little pumping station that's been there since before the 1800's that pumps water from the river into the canal using the force of the river. It's been doing it for 200 years so has probably covered it's installation costs by now. I would have thought that if it was possible to create free power from water they would have done it by now.

This is the 3rd or 4th water based perpetual motion thread I have see in the last two months (not having a dig at you Rand, curiosity is what got Einstein where he is today... dead, hmmm maybe not the best analogy)
Is this common or are we in a post Christmas "I hate work and will now make my fortune by selling perpetual motion machines" type thing?

Related to Exploring Hydraulic Energy: Can Water be Lifted by Weight in Tanks?

1. What is "water lifted by weight"?

"Water lifted by weight" refers to the phenomenon of water being lifted upwards due to the force of gravity acting on an object or material that is heavier than water. This can occur in various scenarios, such as when a heavy object is placed in water, or when water is pulled upwards through a tube by a heavier liquid or material.

2. How does water lifting by weight work?

Water lifting by weight is a result of the gravitational force between the Earth and any object or material that has mass. When a heavier object or material is placed in water, it displaces water and creates a downward force. This downward force is greater than the upward force of the water, causing the water to be lifted upwards.

3. What are some examples of water being lifted by weight?

One common example of water being lifted by weight is when a boat is placed in water. The boat's weight is greater than the weight of the water it displaces, causing the water to be pushed downwards and the boat to be lifted upwards. Another example is a siphon, where a heavier liquid, such as gasoline, is used to pull water upwards through a tube.

4. Is water lifted by weight the same as capillary action?

No, water lifted by weight and capillary action are two different phenomena. Capillary action refers to the ability of a liquid to be drawn upwards through a narrow tube or material, such as a plant's roots absorbing water from the soil. In contrast, water lifted by weight is due to the force of gravity acting on a heavier object or material.

5. How is water lifted by weight important in everyday life?

Water lifted by weight plays a crucial role in various everyday activities, such as in the functioning of a siphon, or in the displacement of water by boats, ships, and other objects. It is also important in many industrial processes, such as in the transportation of liquids and gases through pipelines. Understanding this phenomenon is essential for engineers and scientists who design and build structures that interact with water.