Exploring Normal Subgroups and p-Groups in Finite Groups

In summary, we are given a finite group G and a normal subgroup N which is a p-group for some prime p. Using the Sylow theorems, we can show that there exists a subgroup H of G containing N such that p does not divide the index [G:H]. Additionally, for any p-subgroup of G, N is a subgroup of it. This is because N is the only p-subgroup of G, as all p-subgroups are conjugate. However, this does not mean that N is the only sylow p-subgroup, as there can be multiple sylow p-subgroups of the same order.
Poirot1
Let G be a finite group and N a normal subgroup of G. Assume further that N is a p -group for some prime p.
1) By considering G/N, show that there is a subgroup H of G contaning N such that p does not divide [G:H].

2) Show that N is a subgroup of all p-subgroups of G.

My thoughts: for 1) maybe use sylow theorems. for 2) I don't understand because if N is a normal p-subgroup, then we have gNg^-1=N for all g. But by sylow, every p-subgroup is conjugate so we must conclude that N is the only p-subgroup of G.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
your reasoning for #2 is fine:

if N is a subgroup of a sylow p-subgroup P, then certainly gNg-1 is a subgroup of gPg-1.

you're on the right track for #1: let H be a sylow p-subgroup of G.

then |G| = |H|m, where p does not divide m, and [G:H] = |G|/|H| = |H|m/|H| = m.

Poirot said:
Let G be a finite group and N a normal subgroup of G. Assume further that N is a p -group for some prime p.
1) By considering G/N, show that there is a subgroup H of G contaning N such that p does not divide [G:H].

2) Show that N is a subgroup of all p-subgroups of G.

My thoughts: for 1) maybe use sylow theorems. for 2) I don't understand because if N is a normal p-subgroup, then we have gNg^-1=N for all g. But by sylow, every p-subgroup is conjugate so we must conclude that N is the only p-subgroup of G.
I think use of sylow theorem in (1) helps.
Let $o(G)=p^nm,$ where $p$ doesn't divide $m$. Let $o(N)=p^r$. Let $K$ be a sylow p-subgroup of $G/N$. So $o(K)=p^{n-r}$. Then we know that (by what is probably called the fourth isomorphism theorem) $\exists H\leq G$ such that $N\leq H$ and $H/N \cong K$. It follows that $o(H)=p^n$. Thus we have shown that $N$ is contained in $H$ which is a sylow p-subgroup of $G$ and this is enough to prove (1).

what is the point of question 2) when N is the only p-subgroup? Wait, there's no difference between a sylow p-subgroup and a p-subgroup is there?

Poirot said:
what is the point of question 2) when N is the only p-subgroup? Wait, there's no difference between a sylow p-subgroup and a p-subgroup is there?
Yeah I think there ain't any difference between a sylow p-subgroup and a p-subgroup. But p-subgroups and p-groups are different. So (2) ain't exactly trivial.
We are given a p-group N, which is a normal subgroup of G. We need to prove that it is a subgroup of all the p-subgroups.
Using (1) this is easy.

caffeinemachine said:
Yeah I think there ain't any difference between a sylow p-subgroup and a p-subgroup. But p-subgroups and p-groups are different. So (2) ain't exactly trivial.
We are given a p-group N, which is a normal subgroup of G. We need to prove that it is a subgroup of all the p-subgroups.
Using (1) this is easy.

What is the difference ? Is it that (sylow) p subgroups have order p^m where p^m is the highest power of p dividing o(G), whearas a p-group has order p^r where r is between 1 and m? That's the only way I can make sense of it.

Last edited:
Poirot said:
What is the difference ? Is it that (sylow) p subgroups have order p^m where p^m is the highest power of p dividing o(G), whearas a p-group has order p^r where r is between 1 and m? That's the only way I can make sense of it.
This is the way I have made sense of it too.

sylow p-subgroups are maximal p-subgroups.

by sylow theorems, if we let t represent the number of sylow p-subgroups of order say p^n, then there exist m,k such that $t-1=mp$ and $tk$=$\frac{|G|}{p^n}$

How do you know that the order of G is $mp^n$ when m does not divide p?

Last edited:
Poirot said:
by sylow theorems, if we let t represent the number of sylow p-subgroups of order say p^n, then there exist m,k such that $t-1=mp$ and $tk$=$\frac{|G|}{p^n}$

How do you know that the order of G is $mp^n$ when m does not divide p?

because EVERY positive integer is of that form (although n might be 0). although if we have a p-subgroup N, by lagrange n can't be 0.

1. What is the definition of two group theory?

Two group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of groups, which are mathematical structures consisting of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines any two elements to form a third element. In two group theory, the focus is on groups that have two distinct subgroups, known as the "two groups" in the name.

2. How is two group theory applied in real-world situations?

Two group theory has many applications in various fields, including physics, chemistry, and computer science. In physics, it can be used to study the symmetries and conservation laws of physical systems. In chemistry, it can be applied to analyze the structure of molecules and crystals. In computer science, it can be used to design and analyze algorithms and data structures.

3. What are some common examples of groups in two group theory?

Some common examples of groups in two group theory include the dihedral group, which describes the symmetries of a regular polygon, and the symmetric group, which describes the symmetries of a set of objects. Other examples include the quaternion group, the Klein four-group, and the cyclic group.

4. How does two group theory relate to other branches of mathematics?

Two group theory has connections to many other branches of mathematics, including abstract algebra, number theory, and geometry. It is also closely related to other areas of group theory, such as finite group theory, Lie theory, and representation theory.

5. What are some open problems in two group theory?

Some open problems in two group theory include classifying all finite groups with two distinct subgroups, determining the structure of finite groups with two normal subgroups, and understanding the connections between two group theory and other branches of mathematics. Additionally, there is ongoing research on the applications of two group theory in different fields and the development of new techniques and methods within the subject.