Exploring Nuclear Stability: Neutron-Neutron Interactions

In summary, nuclear forces were introduced to explain the stability of the nucleus and are necessary for the interactions between neutrons and protons, as well as between protons and protons. The strong nuclear force treats all nucleons equally, and any differences in interactions are due to isospin symmetry breaking or coulomb interactions. Experimental data and measurements support the theory of interactions between all combinations of nucleons, showing that neutrons also interact with each other. Without these interactions, particle physics and nuclear physics would have completely different measurements.
Ellispson
I was recently taught the concept of nuclear forces in school.According to what was taught,nuclear forces were introduced to explain the stability of the nucleus.So,my question is that,can't we say that the nucleus is stable only due to neutron-proton and proton-proton interactions?Why are neutron-neutron interactions necessary?

Physics news on Phys.org
The same theory which is used to describe the proton-proton interactions also predicts the proton-neutron as well as the neutron-neutron interaction. In fact, it would be unnatural if it did not. It would be like having a theory of electromagnetism where positive charges interacted with themselves and with negative charges, but negative charges did not interact with each other. Therefore, the question you should ask yourself should be "why would an interaction which results in proton-proton and proton-neutron interactions not also imply neutron-neutron interactions?"

Likes Ellispson
Ellispson said:
I was recently taught the concept of nuclear forces in school.According to what was taught,nuclear forces were introduced to explain the stability of the nucleus.So,my question is that,can't we say that the nucleus is stable only due to neutron-proton and proton-proton interactions?Why are neutron-neutron interactions necessary?

The strong nuclear force (or 'strong force') acts equally on neutrons and protons. That is, strong n-p, n-n and p-p interactions are all the same. So, somehow, you'd have to figure out a way for the strong force to treat neutrons and protons differently.

Likes Ellispson
Orodruin said:
"why would an interaction which results in proton-proton and proton-neutron interactions not also imply neutron-neutron interactions?"
And even if you could come up with such a theory, I don't see how it could match experimental data. Models with interactions between all combinations of nucleons fit very well.

the total interactions between pp, nn, pn are not necessarily the same.
However as long as you keep isospin as a symmetry, they are. That's why proton and neutron can be considered the same particle (within the concept of strong nuclear forces) : the Nucleon.
As a result it's indeed unnatural to expect something different between pp,nn and np (it's nucleon interacting with nucleon).
The differences that occur are either because of the isospin symmetry breaking or coulomb interactions- and as a result these combinations get distinct.

mfb said:
And even if you could come up with such a theory, I don't see how it could match experimental data. Models with interactions between all combinations of nucleons fit very well.
Oh oh.Experimental data.Now I guess I understand..Thanks
And could tell me names of a few such experiments?So I can look them up myself..

ChrisVer said:
the total interactions between pp, nn, pn are not necessarily the same.
However as long as you keep isospin as a symmetry, they are. That's why proton and neutron can be considered the same particle (within the concept of strong nuclear forces) : the Nucleon.
As a result it's indeed unnatural to expect something different between pp,nn and np (it's nucleon interacting with nucleon).
The differences that occur are either because of the isospin symmetry breaking or coulomb interactions- and as a result these combinations get distinct.
Umm what do you mean by isospin?

Ellispson said:
Oh oh.Experimental data.Now I guess I understand..Thanks
And could tell me names of a few such experiments?So I can look them up myself..
Nuclear mass measurements. All of them. Plus all measurements of excited states of nucleons and their energy above the ground level. They fit very well to a model where both types of nucleons interact in (nearly) the same way.

In addition, the strong force that leads to the nuclear force can be studied in high-energetic proton-proton and proton-electron collisions. It can be shown that it acts on all quarks, and both protons and neutrons are made out of those quarks.

Particle physics and nuclear physics would have completely different measurements everywhere if neutrons would not interact with neutrons. There is no single experiment that would be special here.

Likes Ellispson

1. What is nuclear stability?

Nuclear stability refers to the ability of an atom's nucleus to hold its particles together without breaking apart or undergoing radioactive decay.

2. How do neutrons interact with each other in a nucleus?

Neutrons interact with each other through the strong nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature. This force is responsible for holding the nucleus together despite the repulsive force between positively charged protons.

3. Why are neutron-neutron interactions important in nuclear stability?

Neutron-neutron interactions play a crucial role in nuclear stability because they determine the overall strength of the strong nuclear force within the nucleus. This force helps to counteract the repulsive force between protons, thus keeping the nucleus stable.

4. How do scientists study neutron-neutron interactions?

Scientists study neutron-neutron interactions through experiments and theoretical models. They can use particle accelerators to simulate the high energy conditions inside a nucleus and observe how neutrons interact with each other.

5. Can changes in neutron-neutron interactions affect the stability of a nucleus?

Yes, changes in neutron-neutron interactions can affect the stability of a nucleus. For example, adding or removing neutrons from a nucleus can alter the balance between the strong and repulsive forces, potentially leading to radioactive decay or nuclear fission.