Exploring Particle-Wave Duality: Understanding the Double Slit Experiment

• Thread starter Hoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Duality
In summary: But the interference pattern on the screen is made up of single dots, each given by a single particle. Each particle only makes one dot. A single dot is not the result of interference. To be honest, at this point I'm not convinced any interference is happening at all. They just happen to randomly amount to an image similar to waves of interference. I know this isn't correct, but I need some better evidence of a single particle being wavelike.
Doing "searches" for topics is very useful, but it does have limitations. I had already tried two different ways of searching for info on this topic using the PF search engine. Today, I did a PF search for "delayed choice quantum eraser" as SpectraCat suggested, and I found a thread that was begun just 2-weeks ago. This thread gives exactly the information that satisfies all my questions for this thread! Why didn't this thread come up when I was TRYING to find the info? Oh well. The thread title was, "How does one type of detector determine path of photon?" https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=392774&highlight=Delayed+Choice+Quantum+Eraser
Any additional ideas are welcome, but I am satisfied with the answers I've found. Thanks to everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hoku; Glad you finally understand the double slit experiment. I will go on to other things.