Exploring Qubit Computing: Manipulating 3 Electrons in Superposition

• Thread starter Edward Wij
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computing
In summary: Instead, quantum computers use the principles of quantum mechanics to manipulate and process information in a fundamentally different way than classical computers, allowing for certain types of computations to be performed more efficiently. In summary, quantum computing is a field of study that utilizes the principles of quantum mechanics to manipulate and process information in a different way than classical computing, allowing for potentially faster and more efficient computations. It is not based on the idea of trying all possibilities in parallel, but rather on the principles of quantum mechanics.
Edward Wij
I'd like an actual example of qbits operations. Supposed we have 3 electrons in superposition of spin up and spin down.. then we have total of 2^3 or 8 combinations of information. Can you give an example of how to manipulate the 8 combinations using classical computer and quantum computer? I know the latter can produce all 8 combinations at same time. But if we collapse it there is only one outcome.

Just for sake of illustration. Supposed you could access all the observables or eigenvalues at the same time in the 8 different branches of Everette universal wavefunction. How do you take advantage of the parallel computing of all branches versus just one branch.. please give examples of the 3 electrons with spin up and spin down producing 8 combinations in superposition. I'd just like an idea of what qbit computing by actual example of them. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll start by saying I understand approximately zero of all of this. But while waiting for someone else to step in, I can still give you some links you can try to bang your head against like I did. Maybe the results will be better in your case.

About what operations you can do with quantum bits:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_gate
Notice that even for a single qbit there are a ton of possible "gates" that make my brain melt. If you endure till the end, the last two examples are for a set of three qbits (the 8x8 matrices).

About how this is all used for computations in practice:
An explanation of Shor's factoring algorithm: http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=208
A course on the subject by the same guy: http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/default.html

As a short summary I'll just say that the idea that "quantum computing let's you try all the variants in parallel due to superposition" is a misconception, and is not how things actually work.

1. What is qubit computing?

Qubit computing is a form of quantum computing that uses quantum bits, or qubits, to store and process data. Unlike traditional computers that use bits (which can only be in the state of 0 or 1), qubits can exist in multiple states simultaneously, allowing for more complex computations to be performed.

2. How does manipulating 3 electrons in superposition work?

Manipulating 3 electrons in superposition involves using external forces, such as electric or magnetic fields, to control the spin and energy states of the electrons. By carefully manipulating these states, scientists can create and manipulate qubits, which are the building blocks of quantum computing.

3. What makes qubit computing different from traditional computing?

Unlike traditional computing, which relies on binary bits to store and process data, qubit computing utilizes the principles of quantum mechanics to create qubits that can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This allows for more complex and parallel computations to be performed, making qubit computing potentially much faster and more powerful than traditional computing.

4. What are some potential applications for qubit computing?

Qubit computing has the potential to revolutionize many fields, such as cryptography, drug discovery, and artificial intelligence. It could also greatly improve simulations and modeling in fields like chemistry, physics, and finance, as well as optimize supply chain and logistics systems.

5. What are some challenges in developing qubit computing technology?

One of the main challenges in developing qubit computing technology is maintaining the stability and coherence of qubits, as they are extremely sensitive to external disturbances. Another challenge is scaling up the technology to be able to perform complex computations with a large number of qubits. Additionally, the high cost of building and maintaining quantum computers is also a major hurdle that needs to be overcome.