Exploring the Connection Between Musical Ability and Environment

• Music
  • Thread starter Indeed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, most people here play musical instruments for a variety of reasons, some for a longer period of time than others. Some people are more interested in composing music rather than just playing it.
Indeed
Does anyone here play a musical instrument? For how long have you been playing and why?

Science news on Phys.org
Yes, since I was 8, because my mother made me :smile: Although if I ever get back into it I would want to compose music rather than just play it.

piano for about 2 years, guitar and bass guitar for a year

used to mess with recording stuff since i was a little boy... was a disc jockey for 4 years in HS

made my own electronica mixes for around 2-3 years in HS as well

i don't really like "playing" music in terms of copying other peoples stuff though... i like making my own stuff

Cello for 2 years, learning mandolin, can play some guitar.

Trumpet, baritone and French horn (starting in HS) since about 3rd-4th grade. Guitar (rock and blues mostly) through my junior HS-HS years, including a LOT of earning power in college (frat parties mostly).

been playing piano for 1.5 years and guitar for 3 years. I'm mostly interested in folk and classical sounding music. a thing about music i find fascinating is sight reading. i am not excellent at it but i practice every day. the fact that you can just look at a piece and play it right away is amazing, my favorite baroque composer is bach. i also enjoy chopin

:smile:Crystally clear.. I am practicing writing songs !

I have been learning notes for years.

Last edited:
i'm also into blues/folk/classical.

I learned to play the recorder in fourth grade, but didnt pursue it. Now I've been playing the guitar for about 8 months and just got accepted into a band! In fact, we had our first jam session yesterday!

Classical and Flemanco Guitar for 2+ years. Piano and Violin more recently.

chaos, where did you grow up? Because we had to learn recorder in fourth grade as well.

Guitar and Piano - about 5 years (learned piano when I was real young, but never picked it up until I started playing guitar and learned scales and chords and could just improvise instead of reading music... I'm very slow at reading music, but I believe in tonal centers, you can do whatever you want in between them.)

I haven't played solid for two years now, but I miss it. Trying to get going on it again starting tomorrow actually. Got an old 16 track recorder, a friend that plays bass, and a small collection of emotional stress to outlet.

Edit: Styles:

When I first started, I didn't want a genre or a style (generic feeling for someone who writes/improvs their own music probably). But I identified (without any real training) with classical, blues, flamenco, and classic rock. I started to get into harder rock and metal before I took up physics (at which point I gradually lost touch with my guitar).

On piano I play dirges and lots of harmonic minor stuff.

Last edited:
binzing said:
chaos, where did you grow up? Because we had to learn recorder in fourth grade as well.

I was in Romania in fourth grade (The American School of Bucharest), what about you?

Pythagorean said:
When I first started, I didn't want a genre or a style (generic feeling for someone who writes/improvs their own music probably). But I identified (without any real training) with classical, blues, flamenco, and classic rock. I started to get into harder rock and metal before I took up physics (at which point I gradually lost touch with my guitar).

Me too, except I really started playing once I got into college. I wasn't as serious about it in school.

guitar 3 years, violin 9 years and piano off and on for about 6 years but not very good, bass guitar about 6 months.

Podunk little meth capital, Farmington, New Mexico 87401. Interesting, it must be fairly standard

Yeah, just may be. It would really be something to meet someone from anyone of my schools though...

Were your parents diplomats or something like that?

No. My dad's got a job as the ceo of temco in romania. We shifted there and after a year he didnt like the education there, so I got bumped to boarding which was too far for him so again I was sent to budapest, Hungary for two years, then again a year in romania and then finally I've been in India for the last four years...

Wow. Some people get to grow up in the coolest places. (I mean, even if its not the coolest, its different, so you get a different perspective.)

Related to Exploring the Connection Between Musical Ability and Environment

1. What are the benefits of playing music?

Playing music has numerous benefits, both mentally and physically. It can improve cognitive function, memory, and concentration. It also helps to reduce stress and anxiety, and can even boost the immune system. Additionally, playing music can enhance creativity and self-expression.

2. Can playing music improve brain function?

Yes, playing music has been shown to improve brain function in various ways. It can strengthen neural connections, improve communication between brain regions, and increase gray matter in certain areas of the brain. This can lead to improved memory, multitasking abilities, and problem-solving skills.

3. What is the best age to start playing music?

It is never too early or too late to start playing music. While some studies suggest that starting at a young age can have long-term benefits, people of all ages can reap the rewards of playing music. The key is to find a starting point that is comfortable for you and to continue practicing consistently.

4. Do you have to be naturally talented to play music?

No, natural talent is not a requirement for playing music. While some individuals may have a natural inclination towards music, anyone can learn to play with practice and dedication. It is important to have patience and not be discouraged by initial difficulties.

5. Can playing music help with stress relief?

Yes, playing music has been shown to be an effective form of stress relief. It activates the parasympathetic nervous system, which helps to calm the body and mind. It also provides a creative outlet for emotions and can be a form of self-care and relaxation.