Exploring the Definition of Energy in GR: John Baez's Article

In summary: This is correct. Noether’s theorem states that there is a symmetric relation between the laws of conservation of energy and momentum.
In another thread Peter Donis mentioned there may be a way to define energy properly GR.

I always thought it highly problematical because you don't have time transnational symmetry so Nother can be applied.

John Baez wrote an interesting article about it:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/energy_gr.html

Has the situation changed since then or are we still stuck with the same issues - or am I missing something? The second option is most likely o0)o0)o0)o0)o0)o0)

Thanks
Bill

Physics news on Phys.org
Baez article remains a good summary, so far as I know. It would help to link to the thread you implicitly reference. Note that Baez does briefly refers to approaches that some physicists believe provide general solutions, but such beliefs have never reached consensus (e.g. Hamiltonian formulations, quasilocal energy, or the various pseudotensors; I would call Philip Gibbs approach as being a variant of Hamiltonian formulation with exactly zero total energy for closed universes). There are claims that pseudotensors meet all reasonable physical expectations when harmonic coordinates are used, and you should accept this coordinate preference for this specific purpose. So I would say 'stuck with the same issues' is a remains a good summary.

bhobba said:
In another thread Peter Donis mentioned there may be a way to define energy properly GR.

Can you give a specific quote?

PeterDonis said:
Can you give a specific quote?

PeterDonis said:
then there is in fact a way to define "energy stored in the gravitational field" in an invariant way--it's just the GR analogue of the Newtonian gravitational potential energy (defined using the norm of the timelike KVF). But this energy is not a tensor; it's a scalar.

As I said - I may be missing something - but I am sure Peter can clarify.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
I may be missing something

You are. I said that in a stationary spacetime there is an invariant way to define energy stored in the gravitational field. You left out the rest of my post where I made the qualifier clear.

bhobba said:
I always thought it highly problematical because you don't have time transnational symmetry so Nother can be applied.

A stationary spacetime does have time translation symmetry; it has a timelike Killing vector field, by definition.

(Note that the Baez article @PAllen linked to says "static" when it should really say "stationary". A static spacetime is a stationary spacetime whose timelike KVF is hypersurface orthogonal; heuristically, that means the source of gravity is not rotating. But you don't need that extra condition to define gravitational potential energy; just the timelike KVF is enough.)

Likes Dale and bhobba
PeterDonis said:
heuristically, that means the source of gravity is not rotating. But you don't need that extra condition to define gravitational potential energy; just the timelike KVF is enough.)
Which makes sense by Noether’s theorem.

Likes bhobba

1. What is the definition of energy in general relativity?

The definition of energy in general relativity is different from the definition in classical physics. In general relativity, energy is not a conserved quantity and is instead represented by the energy-momentum tensor. This tensor takes into account both the energy and momentum of all matter and fields in a given region of spacetime.

2. How does John Baez's article explore the definition of energy in general relativity?

Baez's article explores the definition of energy in general relativity by examining the work of physicist Hermann Bondi, who proposed a new definition of energy in general relativity based on the concept of energy as a measure of the ability to do work. Baez also discusses the limitations of this definition and alternative approaches to defining energy in general relativity.

3. What is the relationship between energy and gravity in general relativity?

In general relativity, energy and gravity are intimately connected. The energy-momentum tensor is a source of the gravitational field, meaning that the distribution of energy and momentum in a region of spacetime affects the curvature of that region. Additionally, the energy of a system is affected by the presence of a gravitational field, as seen in the famous equation E=mc^2.

4. How does the concept of energy in general relativity differ from classical physics?

In classical physics, energy is seen as a conserved quantity that can be measured and transferred between different forms. In general relativity, energy is not conserved and is instead represented by the energy-momentum tensor, which takes into account the energy and momentum of all matter and fields in a given region of spacetime. This difference highlights the fundamental differences between the two theories of physics.

5. Why is it important to explore the definition of energy in general relativity?

Exploring the definition of energy in general relativity is important because it allows us to better understand the fundamental nature of energy and its role in the universe. It also helps us to reconcile the differences between classical physics and general relativity, and can potentially lead to new insights and advances in our understanding of the universe.