Exploring the Irrationality of Space-Time

In summary: A rock, for example, is discrete because you can see it, touch it, count it, and it has a definite location in space. Time, on the other hand, is continuous. It's not like you can point to a specific moment in time and say, "that's when it happened." It's an ongoing process that's always moving forward.One is called a clock, the other could be any number of things. Distance, like time, is also continuous and infinite. (to our knowledge)This is completely false - there are many examples of distance that are not continuous, like light waves. And again, what does this have to do with time?
shotgun
It seems like human understanding of space can be no clearer than our understanding of time. I still don't understand time. On the one hand it is a discrete interval; but it is also continuous and infinite. All our science is based on an understanding of this time concept and its constructions.
Is there a solid understanding of time out there? What is it?
Much like PI is an irrational number (perhaps because it represents the relationship between the continuous length of a circle and the discrete length of its diameter) so it seems that time may also be irrational in our minds. If so, how could space-time be any different? Why don't scientists spend more time explaining time? And why is the art of science in its attempt to describe the world we live in defined as being "time-invariant"?

Space news on Phys.org
What is the difference between distance and time? Both are measurements using some sort of measurement device. One is called a clock, the other could be any number of things. Distance, like time, is also continuous and infinite. (to our knowledge) In my opinion time is no more complicated than distance is.

Edit: We also just had a big thread on time get locked a little while back, so be warned this is a very touchy subject. The thread is here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=587235

Yes, I agree. And that was my point really - that space could not be less complicated than time.

by the way - thanks. I checked out the thread that you suggested, and certainly don't want to restart a heated debate that goes nowhere. I withdraw my original comments and label them as "not at all useful" (until such time as someone comes up with a shocking and useful new theory - and then I can say, "see - I knew it"!)

shotgun said:
It seems like human understanding of space can be no clearer than our understanding of time. I still don't understand time. On the one hand it is a discrete interval; but it is also continuous and infinite. All our science is based on an understanding of this time concept and its constructions.
Is there a solid understanding of time out there? What is it?
Much like PI is an irrational number (perhaps because it represents the relationship between the continuous length of a circle and the discrete length of its diameter) so it seems that time may also be irrational in our minds. If so, how could space-time be any different? Why don't scientists spend more time explaining time? And why is the art of science in its attempt to describe the world we live in defined as being "time-invariant"?

If Albert Einstein proved anything it was that time was not the simple and obvious concept everyone thought it was. He spent a great deal of his time explaining time. There is a great deal of material on this subject available. Check it out if you want to know more.

A good book on this topic is Brian Greene's "Fabric of the Cosmos". It explains our ideas of space/time and reality in a way that appeals to the layman. I was especially intrigued by the chapter on time, where it is mentioned that although we tend to think of time akin to a flowing river (based on our stream of experiences from past to present to future), in reality it is like a huge frozen ocean, an arena where all events of the past,present and future are embedded and it is our own human experience that moves from one point to the other in this block of ice.

On the one hand it is a discrete interval; but it is also continuous and infinite.

Much like PI is an irrational number (perhaps because it represents the relationship between the continuous length of a circle and the discrete length of its diameter)

Er...what? You keep using words like "discrete" and "continuous" and "irrational", but you seem to be operating under some very non-standard definitions (you're certainly not using them the same way mathematicians use them). Pi, like almost all real numbers, cannot be expression as a ratio of integers; there is no grand philosophical significance to this fact. And what would it mean, exactly, for space-time to be "irrational"?

The word i used was interval, I think. Never used the word integer. I don't have answers about what irrational space means - it's just my layman's term to convey a lack of clarity on the subject.

shotgun said:
The word i used was interval, I think. Never used the word integer. I don't have answers about what irrational space means - it's just my layman's term to convey a lack of clarity on the subject.

You drew a distinction between "discrete" and "continuous":

relationship between the continuous length of a circle and the discrete length of its diameter

Discrete is more usually used to describe for example the number of atoms in a molecule in the sense that each atom is a discrete entity hence it is associated with integers. Diameter and circumference are both real numbers so it is not clear what distinction you are drawing. Time intervals as far as we know are also continuous, no different to lengths in space.

Yes, you are right. My distinctions are not very clear, and it does seem that time and distance are very similar, both conceptually irrational and real. Space-time therefore is also so is it not?

Perhaps I am just saying stuff that everbody knows, but expressing it very inefficiently.

shotgun said:
Yes, you are right. My distinctions are not very clear, and it does seem that time and distance are very similar, both conceptually irrational and real. Space-time therefore is also so is it not?

The problem here is that you're equivocating the bajeezus out of the word "irrational". You start out talking about "the irrationals", which are an uncountable subset of the reals that cannot be expressed as a ratio of integers, and you start talking about "the universe" being irrational. You seem to be trying to link the two, but it's not clear what this is supposed to mean.

Time is a coordinate system. Distance is a metric. There is no need to attach any sort of grand, philosophical significance to either of them.

I respectfully disagree about the need to attach significance to the concepts of time and space. Certainly not all people need to do so, but some certainly should.

Number Nine said:
Time is a coordinate system. Distance is a metric. There is no need to attach any sort of grand, philosophical significance to either of them.

I'm not sure this is correct. I believe time is included in the metric of General Relativity and that a coordinate system includes time and space both.

Related to Exploring the Irrationality of Space-Time

1. What is space-time and why is it considered irrational?

Space-time is the four-dimensional continuum in which all physical events occur. It combines the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) with the dimension of time. It is considered irrational because it challenges our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics, as it allows for concepts like time dilation and the bending of space.

2. How does space-time affect our daily lives?

Space-time affects our daily lives in many ways. For example, the Global Positioning System (GPS) relies on precise measurements of time and the bending of space-time to provide accurate location data. Space-time also plays a role in our perception of time, as it is affected by gravity and can cause time to pass at different rates in different locations.

3. What are some current theories about the irrationality of space-time?

One current theory is that space-time is not continuous, but rather made up of tiny, discrete units. Another theory suggests that space-time may not be the ultimate framework for understanding the universe, and that a deeper, more fundamental theory may be needed.

4. How do scientists study and explore the irrationality of space-time?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study and explore the irrationality of space-time, including mathematical models, experiments, and observations. They also use advanced technologies, such as particle accelerators and telescopes, to study the effects of space-time on particles and the universe.

5. What are some potential implications of further understanding the irrationality of space-time?

Further understanding of the irrationality of space-time could lead to advancements in technology, such as improved GPS systems and more accurate measurements of time. It could also deepen our understanding of the laws of physics and potentially lead to new discoveries about the universe and our place in it.