Exploring the Mysteries of Black Holes: Comparing the Phenomenon to a Lit Fire

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of black holes and compares it to a lit fire being covered with a container. It is suggested that the vacuum of space acts as a container for the dead star to collapse on itself. The conversation also raises the question of what is at the center of a black hole, with one participant explaining that it is not a sucking effect like a fire but rather a gravitational pull. It is recommended to read the Wikipedia page for a better understanding of black holes.
98operate
This may sound very silly and a tad bit hard for me to explain, but here goes!

I have experienced and seen how when a lit fire was covered with a container, the oxygen begins to dissipate and it begins to suck things into the space. (I did not light myself on fire!)

So I was wondering if the black hole worked the same way as that, but on a larger scale! Because it seems to always happen when the star is about to die, which i presumed that the hydrogen (not exactly sure) was about to be burned out. And space is acting somewhat like a container since it is a vacuum, which causes the dead star to eventually collapse on itself.

On that note, I have also read from another thread that apparently a black hole stops at some point. If that is true what would you find at the center of the black hole? would it just be a tiny dense matter? or would it just come spilling out(I would assume they would not be physically the same shape anymore)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your analogy for the black hole is wrong. I could try to explain why, but it would be much better for you to read the wikipedia page instead, as that will also answer your second question.

A fire normally sucks cooler air into it from the bottom as the heated air rises. When you extinguish the flame the remaining coals, wood, or whatever was burning is still very hot, leading to a "sucking" in effect.

Black holes do not work like this. As Vorde suggested I would read wikipedia's article.

What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses under its own gravity.

How is a black hole different from other objects in space?

Unlike other objects in space, such as planets or stars, black holes have an incredibly strong gravitational pull due to their high mass and density. This means that they can bend light, distort time and space, and even trap anything that gets too close to them.

What is the size of a black hole?

The size of a black hole is determined by its event horizon, which is the point of no return where the gravitational pull is so strong that not even light can escape. The size of the event horizon depends on the mass of the black hole, with larger black holes having larger event horizons.

How are black holes detected and studied?

Black holes cannot be directly observed since even light cannot escape from them. However, scientists can detect them through their effects on surrounding matter, such as the emission of radiation from hot gas falling into the black hole. They can also be studied through computer simulations and observations of their gravitational effects on other objects in space.

Do black holes eventually disappear?

According to current theories, black holes do not disappear. They continue to exist and grow as they consume matter and merge with other black holes. However, they do emit radiation, known as Hawking radiation, which causes them to slowly lose mass over time.